Massey 274/4 won't start

Hodgie

New User
I had to do some work to the front end, so I pressure washed the engine, I tried to be careful of the alt, starter, but alas, I guess I wasn't careful enough. The starter clicked and farted, and then nothing. I tried bench testing it, seemed to be junk. I got nothing when I jumped power across the solenoid even. So I ordered a new one. Did my front end work, put the new starter in, still nothing. Could I have a safety switch? I jumped the clutch switch, no difference. It's there a pto switch? Where would I find the neutral switch?
I bought a manual, but it's of horrible print quality so the wiring diagram is practically illegible.
Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

(quoted from post at 16:56:41 08/18/23) I had to do some work to the front end, so I pressure washed the engine, I tried to be careful of the alt, starter, but alas, I guess I wasn't careful enough. The starter clicked and farted, and then nothing. I tried bench testing it, seemed to be junk. I got nothing when I jumped power across the solenoid even. So I ordered a new one. Did my front end work, put the new starter in, still nothing. Could I have a safety switch? I jumped the clutch switch, no difference. It's there a pto switch? Where would I find the neutral switch?
I bought a manual, but it's of horrible print quality so the wiring diagram is practically illegible.
Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums.

The clutch switch is likely the only safety switch, however I can't say for certain on a PTO safety switch. Do you have an Operator's Manual? That should tell you if it won't start of the PTO is engaged.

Clean the battery cable ends, both ends. Where the ground cable connects to the tractor make sure the metal is shiny. Then with a voltmeter or test light, check for battery power to the starter switch. Check for power from the start switch to the clutch switch when the switch is turned to start, then from the clutch switch the the solenoid. Let us know what you find during those checks.

I do not have an operators manual yet, it's on order, but what I found was, the clutch switch is bad, but after bypassing it, I still had the same issue, I chased the circuit just as you said yesterday. I checked for resistance on my power wire from the battery to the starter, and it showed resistance, so I bought a new one from advance auto and voila, problem solved. I do need to order a new clutch switch.
You are correct, they isn't any other safety switches besides that one.
Thank you for your help!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back