Maybe a problem?

stevieb49829

My personal process is to mark a forum as read, when I'm done perusing it. That takes the bold off all the posts, and the Topic/Forum name as well. This morning I marked "Massey Ferg/Massey Harris" as read, and it did its thing. Then when I went back in later, the Topic heading was bolded again, but I could not find the new post. Is it possible that the post was buried way back in the list? I only went back 4 or 5 pages. Another related question: Is there a way to view new posts in one forum at a time, without bringing up ALL new posts?

This is normal if you are running the Filter First message preference hack. I strongly suggest turning it off if you are. It guarantees you won't see new content if the thread started more than a day ago.

If you aren't, then it does sound odd. One thing to check, if you entered that forum again and backed out, did it show the bold again? That would rule out an accidental back arrow somewhere in the process. Also, at the thread screen, does it show what post is considered the most current and is that not one you see when you click into the forum?

This is normal if you are running the Filter First message preference hack. I strongly suggest turning it off if you are. It guarantees you won't see new content if the thread started more than a day ago.

If you aren't, then it does sound odd. One thing to check, if you entered that forum again and backed out, did it show the bold again? That would rule out an accidental back arrow somewhere in the process. Also, at the thread screen, does it show what post is considered the most current and is that not one you see when you click into the forum?
I am using First Message, so that is probably it. I'd do a little experimenting, but I'm comfortable the way it works for me. I just didn't know if it was a bug, or a result of how I interact with the program. And it may have been another responder was sending a reply just as I was done, and I read it, and marked it read, but the timing was perfect to not clear the post I had just read. That has happened before. Thanks, Chris. steve

Sounds logical as to the explanation. I have seen something like that in the past.
Also, it just occurred to me that at the time, I had an opened Conversation with a respondent, about that post. The conversation comes with a header of the ongoing Post, so it may be the program considers a Conversation a part of the activity of the post.

Also, it just occurred to me that at the time, I had an opened Conversation with a respondent, about that post. The conversation comes with a header of the ongoing Post, so it may be the program considers a Conversation a part of the activity of the post.
Explain to me what you mean by
The conversation comes with a header of the ongoing Post
?? I have never seen a PM/Conversation pull anything from a post that would indicate any connection. I use a phone, maybe a PC is different. Unless by “Conversation” you actually meant a “Discussion” or Thread as the software calls it often referred to in the past a a “topic”?
(Didn’t realize that if I copied wording out of a quote it would break out like that)

Explain to me what you mean by

?? I have never seen a PM/Conversation pull anything from a post that would indicate any connection. I use a phone, maybe a PC is different. Unless by “Conversation” you actually meant a “Discussion” or Thread as the software calls it often referred to in the past a a “topic”?
(Didn’t realize that if I copied wording out of a quote it would break out like that)
I think if you start a private conversation with a user, when you are in a discussion thread, the program ties your private conversation back to the thread where it originated. It's not really "connected", in that no one outside of the invitee's in the conversation can enter into the private discussion. And it may have only been in my email notification that I had a conversation response. I don't remember if it actually showed up in the "conversation" header. PS: I just went back and pulled the notification out of my email trash, and that's where it mentioned the topic/thread where my conversation originated.

That is only because I used the same title for my conversation as the one on the topic. So it isn't linking to the topic, just the conversation. This is what happens when I divide 6 by 3 and get 9. :mad:

Screenshot 2024-03-23 200941.png

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back