MF 65 - Ground PTO DUH!

Good morning, first post. I recently bought a 1963, MF 6, diesel with Multi-Power.

Initially, the clutch would not disengage the Engine PTO. After a bit of looking, I was able to fix Engine speed disengagement by lengthening the clutch pedal shaft a few turns.

After this, I was attempting to engage the Ground PTO. Every time I shifted it to Ground, and ran around to the back of the tractor, I would see a stationary shaft. Over and over. Started a long question to post here about trouble shooting. Then, while eating lunch the whole Ground PTO struck me. After lunch, I shifted the thing to Ground and started the tractor moving forward - took a look and sure enough the PTO shaft was turning just like it should!

So, my question is - what would be the purpose of Ground PTO? I have been around crawlers my whole life, or older tractors (like an early 50"s TO-30) that did not have the two options. My experience with Ground PTO is pretty much nil.

Thanks, Stan
 
Welcome to the forums.

Your Operator's manual has a good explanation of the different PTO speeds. Basically, ground speed PTO turns the PTO a proportional number of rpms factored to distance traveled. It works well for some applications like some hay rakes. We have a MF with ground speed PTO we use on one of the hay tedders. In ground speed the tedder stands the hay up more or less in windrows like a rake and doesn't spread the hay as it does when it is turning faster in engine PTO, which is better in some drying conditions. Others will likely be along with other implements they run in ground speed.
 
Last edited:
Good morning, first post. I recently bought a 1963, MF 6, diesel with Multi-Power.

Initially, the clutch would not disengage the Engine PTO. After a bit of looking, I was able to fix Engine speed disengagement by lengthening the clutch pedal shaft a few turns.

After this, I was attempting to engage the Ground PTO. Every time I shifted it to Ground, and ran around to the back of the tractor, I would see a stationary shaft. Over and over. Started a long question to post here about trouble shooting. Then, while eating lunch the whole Ground PTO struck me. After lunch, I shifted the thing to Ground and started the tractor moving forward - took a look and sure enough the PTO shaft was turning just like it should!

So, my question is - what would be the purpose of Ground PTO? I have been around crawlers my whole life, or older tractors (like an early 50"s TO-30) that did not have the two options. My experience with Ground PTO is pretty much nil.

Thanks, Stan
Ground speed is nice for when you have "a moment", and plug something up. Instead of trying to spin the PTO backwards by hand, you can just drive backwards very slowly and get most of it unjammed.

Think haybine or chopper, they both can get plugged pretty easily.
 
Raking hay is a good example. I was raking hay with a H. Ferguson TO 20 when I was 10. Dad bought a H. Ferguson 3-pt hay rake, taught me how to use it to create the correct field pattern, and turned me loose. He had me driving in 3 gear at an idle on flat ground, but hills required 2 gear to provide enough power while driving slower.
 
Thank you to all for your replies.

Based on the operator's manual, I had a basic understanding of the differences between ground and engine. Just did not have a grasp of where ground would bring an advantage. Your examples help. The use of PTO on my property is limited to an 8-foot flail mower, keeping weeds down.

The other primary use for this tractor is pulling a 9-foot offset, hydraulically raised disc. It does the job, but needs some weight on the rear axle to help with traction.

Referring to "Powered by IH" comment about reversing to clear a plug - sounds like it would work. But of course, the operator's manual has in nice, bold italics CAUTION: The tractor should never....... Best guess is the attorneys got involved in that.

I am pretty sure I will have more questions in the future. Who knows, I may even be able to help another member at some point!

Thanks again.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top