MF202 new radiator fiasco

Caryc

The fan on my MF202 self ejected one fan blade causing the damage to the radiator you see in the picture below. I needed to get the tractor fixed fast to do some work so with the nnalert-10 and businesses being closed down I didn t even try to find a place that repaired radiators. I decided to bite the bullet and just buy a new one.

Buying a new one was not so easy. It was a PIA to just find the correct one. My MF202 tractor serial number plate is missing so I don t know the serial number. But with the help of forum members I managed to find the correct part number for my tractor. Then came the task of finding one. After many phone calls, I was given the number of SMA West. So I called them and they said they were a wholesaler and I would have to order through some other retail seller. As luck would have it He said that TSC could order me one. So, I went to TSC and ordered one. It took over three weeks but they finally got me one for around $308 dollars. I was surprised to find that it had no plastic parts on it and looked very well made, although it said "made in Turkey" on the box I also ordered a new water pump and fan through our YT site.

Soon to the tare down and install. The two bottom bolts holding the radiator on were the most God awful things to get at I ve ever run across in my whole life. You can see in the picture that the head of one horizontal frame bolt was right in the way. Well, through a whole series of different I managed to get them off.

Those carriage type bolts would not fit into the slots in the base of the new radiator. So, I played around with a grinder and a belt sander and whittled them down to fit. It s a 30 minute ride into town where I could maybe find bolts to fit so that was out. So, in goes the new radiator and the war started again getting those two bottom bolts on and tight. I got the new radiator on and found that my top support rod was too short and would not work on it. In the parts manual they show two different sizes. But the correct radiator that had the upper return spout with the curve down on it was the correct radiator and according to the parts manual it was supposed to take the shorter rod like mine was. So after some cussing I made my own support out of some aluminum stock you see in the picture.

Installing the new water pump was no picnic either. Especially getting the nuts and washers on in that limited space. The alternator support which mounts on one of those water pump studs would not fit on the new pump. I had to take it to the bench grinder and slim down the end which fits in there and finally got the pump installed.

I got a good scare when I first tried to slid that new pump on the three studs. It s a round plate on the pump with three mounting holes. I tried to slide it on and found that it would fit. I almost started crying at that point. I then decided to rotate it one hole and again it would not fit. I rotated it one hole again and it slid right on. It s a round flange with three holes. You would think that the holes would be equal distances apart but they weren t. That pump fit on only one way.

One more thing, I debated on whether to mount the fan before putting the new radiator in so I went ahead and mounted it. There was no way to get the radiator in with the fan on it. So, I had to remove it again. After installing the radiator it wasn t too hard to then install the fan. Lots of close quarters work on this project.

So, anyway, my tractor is up and running again and I m just sitting relaxing today before getting on it and doing some work.

3kgfJx3.jpg

XqzDAV3.jpg

7Jhu44r.jpg

Good job! It s done and should be good for years. It s still to cold to get much done outside here. We get a few warmer days and then cold again. Got about 3" of snow last night! Next week looks a little better.

After I put the new radiator in my 203 and
got everything back together I realized I
forgot to put the top support bar on. In
order to put that support bar on the tank
has to come off. Three years later that
top support is still sitting on my
workbench. I paid $400 to have my
original tank recited, so don't feel too
bad about buying a new one.

(quoted from post at 04:27:27 04/19/20) After I put the new radiator in my 203 and
got everything back together I realized I
forgot to put the top support bar on. In
order to put that support bar on the tank
has to come off. Three years later that
top support is still sitting on my
workbench. I paid $400 to have my
original tank recited, so don't feel too
bad about buying a new one.

After I got everything back in running shape I noticed one thing I got wrong. I put the bottom clamp on the top radiator hose on with the clamp screw on top. Now if I ever need to tighten that clamp, I will have to remove the tank to get to it. At least I used a new piece of hose when I put the new radiator in.

That top hose was so old, it was more like a piece of pipe than a hose. I had to cut it off with a sawzall.

If you change out your thermostat , check it,the new one I just
bought opens at 200degrees not 160 from Steiner and yt,I
have a 202 work bull

(quoted from post at 13:31:16 04/19/20) If you change out your thermostat , check it,the new one I just
bought opens at 200degrees not 160 from Steiner and yt,I
have a 202 work bull

I used it today to do some work. When I got the new fan, I noticed that the blades were pitched more than the old one. When I started it up today it was a little chilly in the morning and I noticed right away that the fan was pushing a lot more air back towards the drivers seat.

When using new parts on these tractors there is never a dull moment. I did the same same thing to upper hose clamp below the fuel tank, glad I realized it when I sat the tank back on.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back