MF245 Orchard - Hyd Elbow Stripped

JRBamaTex

New User
Hello, This is my first post here. I have been purchasing parts for my 245 Orchard from YT since I got it a couple of months
ago. Today while chasing a hydraulic leak at the Aux Valve Manifold, I discovered a problem with the elbow fitting on the left
side cover. The jam nut that holds the elbow fitting tight against the outside of the cover is super stripped. I believe it is
the supply/output side that feeds the Aux Valve. As near as I can tell the elbow fitting is threaded into something on the
inside of the cover. I think it is called the stand pipe but not positive. With the jam nut completely stripped the elbow
fitting is free to flex in and out of the hole and I assume that it is flexing on the pipe that it is connected to inside the
cover. Before I go any further and try to unscrew the elbow from whatever it is hooked to inside the tractor I thought I'd
better seek some advise from someone that knows for sure. I have read my service manual that I purchased from YT it isn't very
definitive on this specific issue. The internet doesn't seem to know either.

Grateful for any information that you might have on my issue. Going to try to attach a picture for reference.
cvphoto158456.jpg

I called the fitting an elbow above but it's probably better referred to as a bulkhead type fitting. My ultimate question is; Can I unscrew it from the outside or will it just spin a nut or connector on the inside which needs to be held while tightening or loosening? Or worse could the nut/fitting on the inside just fall down into the tractor?

(quoted from post at 15:13:57 07/13/23) I called the fitting an elbow above but it's probably better referred to as a bulkhead type fitting. My ultimate question is; Can I unscrew it from the outside or will it just spin a nut or connector on the inside which needs to be held while tightening or loosening? Or worse could the nut/fitting on the inside just fall down into the tractor?

Welcome to the Forums.

It is not surprising the service manual doesn't go into details on removing hydraulic lines and fittings. Remember service manuals are written for dealer mechanics, not the DIY market. The writers take for granted that mechanics have a handle on those things and don't need details about them. The parts book may shed some light on what you are going to get into. Here is a clip from the page that is probably like yours.

mvphoto107517.jpg

It looks to me like you are going to need to get inside the transmission case to change the adapter fitting. Looking at the parts breakdown I would say you will want to drain the oil to at least a bit below the side cover. To remove the cover, it appears you need to remove the fittings and nuts from the connectors coming through the cover, then remove the cover. It looks like you may be in luck and only need the adapter (item key #18) and the sealing washers for it and the tube (item key #21). You may want a new nut (item key #16) for the adapter and gasket for the plate.

I said this clip is probably like yours as there are two 245 parts books due to a serial number break . One for tractors before serial number 9A349239 and another for tractors 9A349239 and after. They may be the same for these parts, I didn't research that as your serial number is needed to pick the right 245 parts book, best to find and look at the right book to start with. Here is a link to the AGCO Parts site where you can find and use the online parts book for your 245.

https://parts.agcocorp.com/

On that home page click on ''Search by Parts Book''. That will open another search box where you should type in 245. That bring up a drop down list AGCO equipment with 245 in their names. Look through the list and you will see the two books and the serial number range for each, click on the one your serial number falls in and that book will open.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back