MH 44 runs but not well

I recently bought a non running MH 44. I brought it home, and
with fresh fuel and a new battery it started practically right up.
Now it runs, but not well. Im sure it needs a kit put in the carb,
but the other thing I noticed is it seems to go from an idle and then
with a tug on the throttle, the engine is suddenly running way
faster than I believe its intended. Its hard to tell exactly without a
tach, but at half throttle, by ear, its buzzing way over rated rpm.
Has anyone experienced this before?

First step is to check that it has adequate spark. The spark must be able to jump at least 1/4 in open air and be a bright blue-white in color. If the spark won't jump that far in open air, it won't reliably jump a spark plug gap in compression. If the spark is intermitten or is a reddish color, new points are the first step.

Hi RM-MN. I have a 44 4 cylinder gas that had a similar issue and the fix was easy. Some one had been messing with the throttle linkage and when I got that sorted out it was fine.

thats nothing to do with over reving.its a governor problem ar adjustment. it obviously running so the spark must be ok.

there's a spring where rod attaches to governor arm. mine had a steel slug inside it for pushing action, and when you give it some throttle spring pulls on governor arm. One of my 44's I had put a slightly heavier spring on for more instant response and to override governor a little and get a few more rpms out of it. the linkage length of rod would have like a turnbuckle on it, at least couple of mine do. I did have one where someone adjusted it and it would never idle the whole way down and would rev higher than it really needs to.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back