MM info needed

Ty n Tina

New User
I have just picked up what I was told was "48 MM UTIL. the ID plates on the motor and tranny are gone so not sure. The question that I have is that a freeze plug on one the the cyl. blocks came out,(of course between the two blocks)looking at the numbers on the heads it seems that I have two different heads is this an issue I should be concerened with?
The # on one head is GE30E, and the other is 10A4209, the # on the the cyl. is 10A149A, and on the crank block is 10A1700. sorry so long winded

4209 is replacement for GE30E - same compression but different spark plug size and maybe different valves and/or seats - my UTS has that setup and runs fine.

thank you for the reply, a couple other questions I had is that it has been changed over to LP,should i leave it or change it back to gas(seem to run fine on LP), and the clutch seems to chatter when driving after letting clutch out all the way(seems to be a little too noisy especially in reverse)

On a U the 4209/GE30E heads are about 5.5:1 compression ratio. That was pretty standard for Gas engines before mid-1952 and for later distillate engines.

In 1952, they went up to GE30Z/GE30M/4210 heads for 6.95:1 CR for gas engines.

But both those are a bit low for LP engines which typically had GE30J/4213 heads at 7.55:1.

In reality the lower CR will run fine on LP and many swear by LP as cleaner burning and less wear on engines. And generally in the U and G engines, the LP produced a bit more HP (at the higher CR).

If the LP set up looks professional and its running OK, I would leave it alone unless you need a project.

You mention letting out the clutch - most U and UTS up to the 53 UB had hand clutches - does yours have a foot clutch or hand clutch? Has it been out of service for a while - sometimes clutches will improve with use if they have not been used. Otherwise, any sign if oil / grease on surface - you should be able to look in the adjustment/inspection plate on left side. Or maybe it just needs adjustment.

As to rear end noise, check oil in diff and transmission - make sure its up to level and clean. May even be worth pulling a plug from lowest point to check for crud - just be prepared to replace plug quickly - though I have a ZTS that is so thick it barely flows.

I would need to check specs, but someone else here will probably have answer - as to what oil to use - have heard of issues with noise due to too light(?) an oil - cured by draining and refilling with correct oil. But it takes a lot of oil.

I think all the UTI's had a foot clutch. I would certainly think the UTIL would all have a foot clutch, since the shuttle shift lever is about the same area as a hand clutch on the operator platform. The UB should also have a foot clutch.

Thanks again for all the help. Yes it has a foot clutch, I will check fluid and adjustment. Any ideas on how to find out which motor and model it really is without the ID tags, and where to get a head gasket set? and thanks again

Thanks again for all the help. Yes it has a foot clutch, I will check fluid and adjustment. Any ideas on how to find out which motor and model it really is without the ID tags, and where to get a head gasket set? and thanks again

Where are you located? Most Agco dealers should be able to get you new head gaskets. I live in Texas, and have lots parts for the U Molines. I also have the parts/repair manual and operator manual for the UTI and UTIL tractors. The tractor would have a 4 cylinder 283 cubic inch engine with a cylinder bore of 4.25" and a stroke of 5". The tractor probably weighs around 7000 pounds and the normal operating rpm for the engine would be about 1400. I would be happy to answer any more questions if you want to email.

Michael Moeller
[email protected]

Not sure how you figured out its a 40 without s/n tag - but UTIL was made from 1946-1953 with 283A4 engine using 6 volt electrical system and from 1954 to 1959 with 283B4 with 12v system.

There were also other differences between engines, but for most part they are interchangeable as long as you keep front and rear heads etc same compression ratio.

Most likely scenario in my mind would be early (mid 1952 or earlier) with GE30E head and newer 4209 head is replacement part from later vintage.

Not sure how you figured out its a 48 without s/n tag - but UTIL was made from 1946-1953 with 283A4 engine using 6 volt electrical system and from 1954 to 1959 with 283B4 with 12v system.

There were also other differences between engines, but for most part they are interchangeable as long as you keep front and rear heads etc same compression ratio.

Most likely scenario in my mind would be early (mid 1952 or earlier) with GE30E head and newer 4209 head is replacement part from later vintage.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back