Muffler for 301

TomIn

I've got a late 1970's 301A gas with a horizontal exhaust system that is rusting away. The last time I looked Deere wanted about $600 for the parts needed to replace it.

This morning I saw a 1975 Deere 830 advertised on FB. The pictures showed a horizontal muffler mounted forward. I've never seen one in that vintage with a similar set-up. Someone may have cobbled the exhaust system from the typical horizontal system to avoid interference with the loader.

Does anyone have any opinions about using a similar set-up on my 301A?
830 Muffler

(quoted from post at 13:22:39 03/12/22)
I've got a late 1970's 301A gas with a horizontal exhaust system that is rusting away. The last time I looked Deere wanted about $600 for the parts needed to replace it.

This morning I saw a 1975 Deere 830 advertised on FB. The pictures showed a horizontal muffler mounted forward. I've never seen one in that vintage with a similar set-up. Someone may have cobbled the exhaust system from the typical horizontal system to avoid interference with the loader.

Does anyone have any opinions about using a similar set-up on my 301A?

830 Muffler

The 830 utility tractor calls out the same muffler part number as your 301A uses as the catalog shows the exhaust going to the rear. Pipes are different numbers but prices are about the same.

Have you searched by the part numbers? It looks like about $100 savings with an aftermarket muffler. The heat shield on it adds to the cost. You might measure yours up and find an aftermarket one that matches size wise and transfer the heat shield over. The front pipe appears to be a JD only item. You might be able to get yours duplicated at a shop that bends and makes exhaust pipes, or you can go to a parts store and find pipe and elbows to build your own pipe with. For the rear deflector pipe you can find a pipe, or downbeat deflector that will work, even if you get a short pipe with a bend/elbow and cut it off to match the end angle. The exhaust will be fine going front or rear, to me the options, including making an exhaust system like that 830, depend on the skills, tools available, and what you want for an end product.

Here is a link to a Stanley Ag exhaust catalog you can search through to see if any of the JD mufflers or pipes might help you.

https://stanleymuffler.com/catalog/files/mobile/index.html#1

And here is a link to a Walker Commercial catalog which has an agricultural section which will have info on mufflers

https://www.walkerexhaust.com/products/commercial-vehicle/commercial-catalog.html

The aftermarket muffler is a bit cheaper than the Deere (may be the same manufacturer?), but the other parts add up rather quickly. Deere now
prices the exhaust system over $800, and that doesn't include the heat shield mounted above the muffler.

The original owner of my tractor had cobbled up a snow plow for the front of the tractor, and the mounting bent and partially crushed the exhaust
pipe from the manifold to the muffler. My tractor is located quite a distance from the nearest muffler shop, so duplicating the original
exhaust system could be a major headache if it required a number of trips to get everything bent up so it fit. The system pictured on the 830
looked a bit simplier.

My main worries were breathing the exhause fumes, the possibility of the muffler being ripped off by brush, and any possible fire hazards.
301A exhaust

The heat shield is part of the JD muffler and the aftermarket ones crossing to the JD part number, not a separate part. It won't be on a Stanley or Walker.

The pipe off the manifold of the 830 appears hand built. If you have the capability to build that one, you could use the manifold flange of your current pipe and either build a pipe to the front or rear, as you choose. That is an aftermarket muffler on the 830, not the correct one.

I have to believe the exhaust on the 830 was custom built, not purchased and bolted on. Just depends what you want to build.

Hard to say how much different the fume level will be but when going forward you will be traveling towards the fumes, instead of away from fumes.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back