My forum wish

Scott 730

How hard would it be to make it a requirement to have at least a vague location in everyone's profile? Don't need your address, just a state would sure help. There are posts that have no meaning without the context of where the poster lives. Weather, auction prices, scrap prices, fuel prices.,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yada yada yada................... Mostly meaningless posts without a general idea of where the poster lives. Flak jacket on, ready to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth over this idea.

A surprising number of people want to display their addresses or location, but it is optional and voluntary. Since privacy is such a large issue, we can't mandate that people provide a location. From what I've noticed, you should see more and more people putting their location in because they want to, as they discover their user account information. The problem with migrating the system over is that it was never presented to people that they could enter a location so that explains why all the people who wanted to, may not have yet, they don't know it's there. The old system had few preferences people could set, so people aren't used to checking what is set in their account. Location's will appear more with time.

I think a general location would be a good idea.

For example, if you just provided the province or state you're in that would help clear up a lot of confusion in various topics. I just put mine in my profile.

On other sites that use this system doing that puts your location under your avatar, this one doesn't apparently.

I think a general location would be a good idea.

For example, if you just provided the province or state you're in that would help clear up a lot of confusion in various topics. I just put mine in my profile.

On other sites that use this system doing that puts your location under your avatar, this one doesn't apparently.
It shows it under the Avatar by hovering. Makes sense because you only need that info part of the time, so it pulls it across your connection only when necessary with client side scripting rather than send all the data for all posters down on the page load. It could be put there like the old system did, but this way, makes for a faster forum.

It shows it under the Avatar by hovering. Makes sense because you only need that info part of the time, so it pulls it across your connection only when necessary with client side scripting rather than send all the data for all posters down on the page load. It could be put there like the old system did, but this way, makes for a faster forum.

Yes, I knew about the hovering.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back