Need a capacitor

Jim in NC

Does anyone have a clue as to what capacitor this is? It has failed and is needed in a Sears benchtop sander. It went out a few weeks ago, and I have had no luck locally and parts are NLA. There are no markings on it whatsoever. I am asking to see if it is repairable, worth repairing, or needs to go to the scrap pile. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

cvphoto148439.jpg

cvphoto148440.jpg

That is scrap. Test motor windings for open. If ok (not) , write down motor nameplate data , bring scrap cap to motor repair shop, smile nice, and you are good to go for $12 new, $2 or so used.

I have a box of used start capacitors.
If you find a capacitor that will fit, a good change it will work. Make sure the start switch isn't stuck closed. A stuck switch will fry a start capacitor.
Post a pic of the rotor and inside the motor. The rotor end should have part of the end switch.

I don't see a starting switch, if none that is a ''PSC'' (permanent start capacitor) motor.

What is the model number of the tool?

Were you able to look it up on Sears parts?

If so, was a part number shown for the obsolete part?

Is there a horsepower or Amp draw rating on the motor?

A typical PSC capacitor rating for a motor in the 1/4 - 1/2 HP range would be in the 5 - 12.5 mfd range, and a 370 Volt rating.

At this point, with no more info available I would try a 7.5 mfd capacitor and observe how the motor starts and runs vs. previously.

I should have added that the motor would run close to normal speed before I took it apart. It just did not have any pulling power. A piece of wood lightly against a sanding belt would drop its speed to nothing almost instantly. I do have the paperwork with the sander, and I will try to post the part numbers that I have.

IF anything prevents the motor from coming up to full speed within a second or two will toast the capacitor too.

Get a used capacitor and try it.
If it doesn't come up to speed, get a larger capacitor.

I was only able to find the model number, and again what parts info I find is there are none
available. It has a 2/3 hp motor and the model number is 137.215360. I have had to load hay, feed
critters, and ran out of daylight. Thanks again for the suggestions.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back