Need help finding .010 oversized cylinder liners for my 203

I'm preparing to rebuild my 1962 Massey Ferguson Industrial 203, the ESN is "CL 1929810", the engine is a Perkins A3.152. Due to bad cylinders my machine shop says I need to have the block cylinders bored .010 over. My standard liners are chrome and I've been told that oversized liners are no longer available for chrome. I was also told I might have better luck finding the oversized liners if I switched to cast iron. Is this true ? Who sells these ?

Thanks

Mike

Did you post this under another user name? Maybe I just read it and later thought someone had replied. How much do you use your tractor and what are you doing with it? If less than 200 hours a year and it is not used under a constant heavy load like a plow for long periods say 6-8 hours in a stretch you will likely not wear out that engine in your lifetime even if you install cast iron sleeves. I suspect if you give them the “go ahead” the machine shop can source the sleeves through their vendors.

That is a pretty common block, I would consider getting a replacement block before I put a lot of money into it. I am trying to understand why the parent block would need to be bored .010, was there a catastrophic failure? I hope they didn't damage the bore during sleeve removal. A lot of Perkins diesels had cast iron sleeves and achieved a long life. I would go with the cast iron sleeves and not worry, especially if a .010 over cast iron sleeve manufactured for the Perkins can be sourced. I am not sure I would want the shop to install a generic cast iron repair sleeve although I have run a few in automotive service with good results. The only sleeve issue I ever had was with a 203 rebuilt by a Perkins dealer. For some reason the sleeves were a loose fit and it pulled one into the crank case. They knock pretty good when run without a sleeve. When I rebuilt with a standard rebuild kit the replacement sleeves were difficult to install, I had to hone the bore, put the sleeves in dry ice and heat the block. The replacement sleeves from the engine where slightly smaller in OD then the new replacement sleeves.

I'm preparing to rebuild my 1962 Massey Ferguson Industrial 203, the ESN is "CL 1929810", the engine is a Perkins A3.152. Due to bad cylinders my machine shop says I need to have the block cylinders bored .010 over. My standard liners are chrome and I've been told that oversized liners are no longer available for chrome. I was also told I might have better luck finding the oversized liners if I switched to cast iron. Is this true ? Who sells these ?

Thanks

Mike
Try contacting SHEFFIELD TRACTOR LLC in the USA....(Internet)
They advertise CAST IRON SLEEVE replacements for CHROME SLEEVES for your Engine.

Thanks

Mike
Take this info to a machine shop....then ask them about the necessity of machining of the engine block ??
INFO located on the INTERNET:

Perkins diesel, chrome liners used prior to engine serial number 1829891.
835756M91 Piston Assembly (Perkins No. 59156) (Original part number 732650M91)
732638M1 Liner, Cylinder Block (Piston Sleeve) (Perkins No. 31358308)

Perkins diesel, chrome liners used in engine serial numbers 1829891 thru 1935853.
835756M91 Piston Assembly (Perkins No. 59634) (Original part number 733147M91)

Perkins diesel, cast iron lines used in engine serial number 1935854, and up.
734459M91 Piston Assembly, Complete (Perkins No. 81874)
734175M1 Liner, Cylinder Block (Piston Sleeve) (Cast Iron) (Perkins No. 31358322)

Attachments

• a254668......jpg
    a254668......jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN9673.JPG
    DSCN9673.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Did you post this under another user name? Maybe I just read it and later thought someone had replied. How much do you use your tractor and what are you doing with it? If less than 200 hours a year and it is not used under a constant heavy load like a plow for long periods say 6-8 hours in a stretch you will likely not wear out that engine in your lifetime even if you install cast iron sleeves. I suspect if you give them the “go ahead” the machine shop can source the sleeves through their vendors.
Thanks Red. I didn't post this anywhere else. My 203 has a loader and backhoe for misc. chores on our small acreage, and snow removal. I probably on average put less than 50 hours on it per year. My problem was I could only find standard size chrome liners and my machine shop was telling me I have a "out of round" cylinder that requires a re-bore and larger liner.

That is a pretty common block, I would consider getting a replacement block before I put a lot of money into it. I am trying to understand why the parent block would need to be bored .010, was there a catastrophic failure? I hope they didn't damage the bore during sleeve removal. A lot of Perkins diesels had cast iron sleeves and achieved a long life. I would go with the cast iron sleeves and not worry, especially if a .010 over cast iron sleeve manufactured for the Perkins can be sourced. I am not sure I would want the shop to install a generic cast iron repair sleeve although I have run a few in automotive service with good results. The only sleeve issue I ever had was with a 203 rebuilt by a Perkins dealer. For some reason the sleeves were a loose fit and it pulled one into the crank case. They knock pretty good when run without a sleeve. When I rebuilt with a standard rebuild kit the replacement sleeves were difficult to install, I had to hone the bore, put the sleeves in dry ice and heat the block. The replacement sleeves from the engine where slightly smaller in OD then the new replacement sleeves.
Thanks Miangus. I shopped around for a used block and was quoted anywhere from $700 to $1000. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. My machine shop say the number 1 cylinder is out of round, otherwise the block is ok. When I pulled the head, the number 1 cylinder liner was loose in the block, as I manually turned the crank the sleeve would move up and down. Maybe it had been that way for years. My chrome liners outside diameter is 3.6875/3.6885 in. with a flange thickness of 0.042/0.045 in. I think the following liners will work, will need to also increase the flange size:

Sleeve O.D. = 3.697"/3.698", .010" oversize, .145" flange thickness, fits Perkins 152, 203, semi-finished sleeve

Take this info to a machine shop....then ask them about the necessity of machining of the engine block ??

Perkins diesel, chrome liners used in engine serial numbers 1829891 thru 1935853.

734175M1 Liner, Cylinder Block (Piston Sleeve) (Cast Iron) (Perkins No. 31358322)

Thanks JD. I suggested to my machine shop to just use some loctite on the loose cylinder sleeve. They didn't say no but said they couldn't warranty the work if we went that route.

Thanks JD. I suggested to my machine shop to just use some loctite on the loose cylinder sleeve. They didn't say no but said they couldn't warranty the work if we went that route.
At some point PERKINS decided to STOP installing CHROMED LINERS ...and switch to Cast Iron Sleeves. I'm unable to locate (in print) the reasoning behind Perkins decision at this time however,I do recall, Perkins decided the chromed sleeves were elongating,thus the liners were no longer secured in the block bores.

I believe a fellow YT Member several years ago "ptfarmer"did post the part #'s required to install cast iron sleeves in a Perkins block that was originally sleeved with CHROME LINERS.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back