Need help to identify a ford tractor!

Hi!
I´m from Chile and recently my uncle acquired a Ford tractor, looks lika a 8N model but the engine isn´t the original 8N, SB9210E is the number located on the engine, in the same place as the 8N original engine. It doesn´t look that it was replaced. Our intention is to restore it, but is very hard to find out some information about the engine. There is a several things that confirm that the tractor is a 8N model, almost everything fits perfectly with the 8N description, manifold, air filter, metal sheets, logo, and so on.
I will try to upload some pictures to help qith the identification of the tractor. It´s really a puzzle find out what engine is as the same to find out what model or year the tractor is.
Please HELP! (and forgive my English, It´s so rusty as the tractor)
Thank´s everyone!

if it has been repowered with a different engine, we will for sure need to see detailed pics to help you ID it.

if you are going to 'restore' it.. there will be a sticking point wiht a non oem engine..

if you want it refurbished and looking good to work.. should be no issue once you id the engine and can get parts for it if needed.

8N engines were also used to power stationary equipment like pumps and generators. It's possible that the original engine in your tractor was damaged and someone replaced the entire engine with an engine from one of these stationary units.
Is it a Flathead engine like the original with the spark plugs screwed into the top of the head?

Su ingles es excelente! Much mejor que mi castellano.

In addition to the serial number on the engine block, there may be date codes on various parts of the tractor. Find them and photograph them and we should be able to zero in on what you have.

Most common places to find date codes are:
1. Engine block on the starter bulge. This one may not do much good in your case if the engine is non-original
2. Carburetor brass tag. Usually needs some clean up to see it.
3. Hydraulic pump base near the drain plug (underneath the tractor). I've seen some pumps that have the date code on the inside of the pump base. In that case you can't see it unless you remove the pump and clean out the sludge.
4. Rear axle housings, on the front surface. Sometimes the date is spelled out and sometimes it's in code....and sometimes it's not there at all.

Hello again! I´m very grateful for the replies and I'll answer to all at the same time, if it´s posible... I'm not use to write on discussion boards (forum, blogs or anything like this) so, forgive me if I'm doing it wrong.
My uncle and I figure it out what engine is thanks to your advices how to obtain information and look at the places in detail. We took off the oil pan of the engine and figure it out that is a marshall engine. follow some pictures from the engine and the tractor. It appears that the tractor is a Frankenstein project (laugh!) The transmission case, the hydraulic case and the engine seems to be from 3 diferent tractors, You´ll see on the pictures! Looks like the engine (now identified as a Marshall), the gear box case and the hydraulic and rear axle case are from 3 different tractors and materials and ages, have a 4 forward gears, 1 backward and a S that I don't know what it means (maybe Slow gear?)
I may be forgetting something, but I believe there is plenty of information, if not , please guide me through the steps to find out what tractor (or tractorS) is this.
Thanks to everybody for the help and the time expended to help me.
We (My uncle and I) are very pleased with your fast responses.
a80098.jpg

a80099.jpg

a80102.jpg

a80103.jpg

a80104.jpg

a80105.jpg

a80106.jpg

a80107.jpg

a80108.jpg

a80115.jpg

a80116.jpg

Hi! Soundguy!
I believe that I posted a reply to myself. Please, forgive my mistake. You may look at there.
Thank you a lot for your help. And I hope we find out the answer to my doubts.

Hello awhtc!
we figure ot out that the engine is a Marshall, just don't know why!
I posted a reply to myself by mistake. There I put some information and pictures about the tractor.
I appreciate your help and I hope that will continue.

Hello Jim! thank you for appreciate my English, your castellano is not that bad too.
I believe that I reply to myself trying to improve the response. It may not work, but anyway. I have posted some pictures and also figure it out what engine is. A Marshall, according to the pictures, you will see inside the oil cap.
The rest of the tractor seems to be from other 2 tractors brands. Look at my self reply(laugh) and you will be able to see what I mean.
Thank you enormously for the tips and I will continue to looking for more clues on the tractor

I agree with Royse. It looks like a Ferguson TO-30 with a Ford 8N hood. You can tell it"s a TO-30 rather than a TO-20 from the fact the air cleaner intake comes through the dash panel.

Marshall is probably the name of the foundry that made the oil pan.

That will explain alot! I ll keep digging into the parts numbers. Everything you need to help me with this issue, mistery, just ask I ll try to respond.
Thank you all

Something about those pictures is making me think Ferguson. For example, other than the hood being a Ford part, I do not see the FORD script on any of the castings. Ford was pretty proud and it seems the name was on every cast part, no matter the size. There are excellent resources on this site and the internet for both Ford and Ferguson tractors. The early Fergusons were practically a copy of the Ford so they are hard to tell apart without some experience.
I would guess the S position on the shifter is for Start and would activate the switch for the starter motor. It's an early safety measure, as you have to shift to neutral to engage the switch.

good luck with your tractor, whatever it is. be proud of it.

karl f
yt article about Harry Ferguson

It appears to be a Standard engine used in English-built Fergusons. The aluminum alloy transmission housing indicates a TEA 20. Also, the steering gear would be cast in one piece with the transmission cover. The cast oil pan is another clue. There normally would be an ID plate below the Steering wheel.
This type of engine was also used in Fordson Dextas, but the starter hole was on other side, and an adaptor plate was used to mate the engine to the Fordson transmission.

Thank you CDMN!
You are right! It is a TEA20, no doubt!
Finally! my head was starting to spinning, since my uncle said that the guy who sold it was a hundred percent sure that the tractor was a ford, hehehe!
Now I ll be able to restore it.
Thank you very much and thanks everybody who help to clear my mind and gide me to the right pass to find out what tractor was it.
The knowledge is powerfull force and the dialog is the mighty weapon that can conquer any barriers and cross the borders all around the planet.
From the South of Chile ( almost the end of south hemisphere and the beginning of the Patagonia) I thank you all (Royse, Karl f, Jim.UT Awhtc, Aoundguy and yourself CDMN)for all your help, and I hope I can help you when you decide to visit Chile!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back