New Holland TT60 Tractor No Start

baydog1

Hello. I have a New Holland TT60 tractor that as it always goes ran fine the last time I used it but been sitting out in the weather for about 1 month and now it won't crank. I've found 4 safety switches. Out of the 4 switches 3 are 2 pin connectors and 1 is 4 pin. For testing reasons I have unpluged all the safety switches and used a jumper wire to bypass each switch trying to rule out if safety switch is causing the no crank issue I have. The only switch I haven't ruled out yet has 4 pins and not sure how to jump this 4 pin plug. Can this switch be unpluged and jumper wire used to rule this switch out?
Thank you
Scotty

I take it there is some evidence that the battery has a charge like lights on the dash, headlights work etc.? Do you have a volt meter to test the voltage? Did you try to jump start it? Depending on your level of mechanical knowledge all of these things may be common sense, but need addressed before we proceed. You can bypass a 100 switches but if the battery has improper voltage that is all in vain. On the four wire switch I cannot tell you without a wiring diagram. Do you have an owners manual, if so does it have the diagrams in it?

Hello. Thanks for reading my post. Yes I did check battery voltage first thing and the battery showed about 12.5 volts and held up good under a load test. All the dash lights come on. I can also jump the starter at the solenoid and make the engine crank but that doesn't open the fuel shut off solenoid. I am guessing the fuel shutoff plunger is pulled in the backward direction or toward the rear of tractor when 12 volts is applied?? No, sorry I don't have a manual and not having much luck finding any kind of wiring schematics.

When my TT60A wouldn't crank, I eventually found a relay hanging on the wiring harness under the dash, under that little fuse panel cover. This is one of those common automotive 5 blade relays. This tractor was low hours but apparently they were all outdoors, when I bought it. The relay had had water in it. The throttle cable also froze up the first winter.

Bob. I did find 1 regular 5 blade relay that I can replace. Thanks for telling me they're the same as the automotive. I'll check it out and let you know. When I turn the key on I don't hear anything clicking,

I believe the TT60s predecessor is the NH 3010s. Yes I would imagine there are changes to the wiring, relays etc...but my 3010s only safety switch failure has been transmission neutral switch. The other problem is if someone has moved the PTO engagement lever has been moved to engaged while adding hydraulic oil to the transmission sump through the vent port. Hard to fit the funnel past the PTO engagement handle on top of transmission. The PTO clutch is under the steering wheel on the area of the steering column, and not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to the handle on the top of the transmission. They did alter the transmission handles on the TT series, so.... Also bad ground at the front bolster, and bad ground cables have all given me starting problems on my 3010s. Hope you find it. The key switch was replaced 1 time since 1997 also

Not to advocate doing so but on my brothers 7140 We tied the fuel shut off in the on position to finish planting one field till we could get a new one for it and it would run fine just didn't hold the fuel on. 6 months later found the batteries were junk and the alternator was not putting out enough to hold it all together for starting and charging. Set of new batteries and an alternator later all has been fine now.

E.B. Haymakin' Is the transmission neutral safety on the top side close to shifter on right side of tractor and the PTO switch
near the PTO shift handle on left side of tractor? Wander if I can use a jumper wire, unplug the each switch 1 at the time and
since they are both 2 terminal wire plugs, jump the 2 wire together to find the bad guy? I will be checking all the grounds too.
Thanks again

caterpillar guy that's real close to the situation I'm in. And I do understand the safety risk but I need to get this tractor moving. The fuel shut off solenoid is on the outside of the injection pump real tight up against the engine block. The solenoid arm is pinned I believe to the shut off lever on the injection pump? I've tried getting in there and moving the plunger arm but it don't wanna move. Did you unpin yours when you pulled it back?
Thanks

to make sure I'm understanding exactly what's happening when you turn the key...the starter rolls the engine over but no start. The two times my 3010s did that the first time was bad connection on oil sensor on the right side of the Iveco motor they used. The cover boot had disintegrated. Other time that the engine would turn over but no start was key switch. With the PTO safety switch left in the run position the engine will not roll over. IIRC.

when I'm having ground issues....when the key is turned you get a couple revolutions of the motor, starter drops out and then you hear click click click. I immediately clean contact points, then if problem persists new ground cable, and no more problem. Every 4-5 years on ground cable...

E.B. It won't crank over and I don't have any voltage at the shutoff solenoid to open fuel either. I can get engine to crank by
crossing the starter solenoid but if I run 12v to the shut off valve it wont open it. Need to get the tractor moving to finish a
job and plan on fixing whatever it needs to make it safe and faithful to use. For now gotta get it rolling if possible.
Thanks

maybe all the safety switches on the 3010s would allow the starter to roll the engine but cut fuel, I'll try that PTO safety on my tractor and see. I've had my neutral safety bypassed decades ago. My brother did it he's the real mechanic.

mvphoto107800.jpg
with the PTO engagement in the on/run position the starter doesn't turn over at all. Key sends no power to the starter. The oil sensor is on the Left side of engine not right...

on the 1997 NH 3010s these two wires one solid white and one white with red stripe ran to the safety switch I am pointing to....im told it is a ground switch
mvphoto107856.jpg

This post was edited by E.B. Haymakin' on 07/24/2023 at 04:14 pm.

These are the safety switches and starter solenoid jumper. The last picture is fuel shutoff solenoid. How can I test the fuel shutoff solenoid? Can I Run 12volts to it to see if it will open and close?
Thank you

cvphoto159386.jpg

cvphoto159387.jpg

cvphoto159388.jpg

cvphoto159389.jpg

cvphoto159390.jpg

cvphoto159391.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back