Newbie Here - 9N 12 V Fan Belt Question

Joe.S.AK

[color=darkred:79c08ac4a6]A Newbie here, with a "New" 1940 9N (Sn: 13030) and a 12 V Neg Ground system.

The fan belt that came with it (Dayco 4L430) seems to be too narrow and it shrieks like a banshee. The slipping of the belt heats the belt, it expands and then slips like mad. Then the water pump slows it's pumping and the alternator slows it's alting.

What have others done?

You'll have to speak up - I have been around it all day trying to stop the squealing.

Joe S (AK and ID)

[/color:79c08ac4a6]

yes, the belt is too narrow. that's a 1/2" belt, and the N uses 5/8" pulleys. make sure the alternator pulley is 5/8" - if not, replace it with one that is. then get a properly sized belt.

Thank you.

I was just thinking the same about being too narrow. I'm not sure where to get a 5/8" wide pulley for the alternator shaft but I'll start work on finding one now.

All the best to you.

Joe

Joe you can get a 5/8 pulley for your alternator right here on this site.
wm_98NAA5825.jpg

5/8 Pulley

Den,

[i:6063d3aa23]SOMEHOW[/i:6063d3aa23] I thought there might/maybe/could be one here. All things being equal, maybe even a belt, too.

Joe

I'm sorry to say that I haven't seen a starter / alternator rebuild shop in years and years.. The same goes for rebuild kits for alternators - they laugh at you when you ask for one.

Today I'll pull the alternator, pull the pulley to check for diameter and order one from here.

Life is good.

Joe

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back