no charge - update..

16tracker

New User
I removed the VR and cleaned/sanded the points under the cover as per JMOR's recommendation.

Still no dice. Its does actually look pristine under the cover with one set of points N.O. and the other NC. i would assume that this is correct. I also polished the screw terminals to ensure continuity verified with my meter.

What would be the next step?

Thinking back now, i didn't check to see if the genny was charging by checking battery voltage while running. could it be a bad amp meter? a magnet did make it jump to the discharge side though.

grasping at straws now until someone with much more knowledge than I to chime in.

And, No Tim. I'm not an audio aficionado. Just have an old POS 84' 16' tracker with a 35 merc.

Thanks again for y'alls time

This post was edited by 16tracker on 09/29/2022 at 04:36 am.

Verify battery is good first -have it tested. A bad battery will never charge. Be sure the GEN has the belt tensioner too and also will never charge without it. Can
take your GEN, battery, and AMMETER to the bench and motor test it per FO-4 Manual. A magnet only works on the Induction 'LOOP' AMMETER but doesn't always prove it is
good. Your local starter shop can bench test everything too. Battery gets charged thru AMPS by the GEN. Are you sure you have the correct VR; p/n 8N-10505-C? Verify
all wiring is correct too. Often adding lights can cause shorts when done incorrectly.

IOtAqp1l.jpg

g4SODgal.jpg

fUSnwf6l.jpg

EOwnWyQl.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

Battery is fine, i have load tester.

belt is tight on the genny

will have to bench test components as per the manual

VR must be correct since it has worked for 30+ years

No new wiring has been done since then either

(quoted from post at 10:17:10 09/29/22) Battery is fine, i have load tester.

belt is tight on the genny

will have to bench test components as per the manual

VR must be correct since it has worked for 30+ years

No new wiring has been done since then either
wo jumper wires & voltmeter will yield some quick information. Measure battery voltage before starting anything. Start tractor and note if battery voltages increases with engine speed. While running at speed, connect jumper from generator Field terminal to ground and again observe battery voltage for change. Next, leaving field jumper in place, connect another jumper wire from generator armature to non-grounded battery terminal, and note change in battery voltage. Remove Armature to battery jumper before stopping engine. Report voltages observed at each step.

Thanks Tim and JMOR. i will perform these tests after work today and report the findings. Thank very much again gentlemen

[/quote]

Ok, initial battery voltage is 6.45v

Engine is running, no voltage increase with engine put thru the RPM range

jumper connected from field to ground, no change.

field jumper in place, second jumper is connected from genny armature to neg terminal on battery.

Ding!! Meter is now reading 8.5v :D however.......

looking down at my smokey ammeter, its shows full charge :shock: :lol:

this isn't the first time i have let the smoke outta something and probably not the last. :lol: :lol:

Once we figure out what went wrong with my testing, i'll be ordering a new ammeter with whatever else i need to get this back to charging.

what is the next step now? i appreciate the time y'all have put in to this

(quoted from post at 07:37:13 10/03/22)
wo jumper wires & voltmeter will yield some quick information. Measure battery voltage before starting anything. Start tractor and note if battery voltages increases with engine speed. While running at speed, connect jumper from generator Field terminal to ground and again observe battery voltage for change. Next, leaving field jumper in place, connect another jumper wire from generator armature to non-grounded battery terminal, and note change in battery voltage. Remove Armature to battery jumper before stopping engine. Report voltages observed at each step.[/quote]o, generator works, VR does not. At a minimum, the cut out function in VR fails to connect gen ARM to battery. The temporary jumpers result in full generator output without any voltage or current regulation. Temporary short term with fully charged battery is generally no problem, but a near dead battery and a few minutes may have been too much current for too long and the weak link bit the dust.

ok, thx JMOR. so if i'm hearing you correctly, get a new VR from this site and hope for the best? oh, and get a new ammeter also.

I have had minimal issues from stuff made in China, hope my luck holds out....

thanks again guys, i have learned something new for the day

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back