Normally I look forward to picking corn...not this year

Jason S.

I always enjoyed picking corn from the time I was a kid. I traded my Ford mounted picker for a New Idea two row picker so I was really looking forward to trying it out. Then we had some really bad storms come thru. Looks like I'll be hand picking this year.
3F4986C4-8A4E-4846-9450-83BC20973585-964-000001336A5F9C22_zpsfaf2f41f.jpg

Try the New Idea picker!!!!!!! YOU WILL BE SURP
RISED AT WHAT IT CAN AND WILL PICKUP!!!!!!!! OPPS!! The first did not come out an intended. Armand

Mine's still standing,but I'm sure not looking forward to picking either. As late as it was last year,I think it's even later this year and I haven't even started. It'll be at least Tuesday or Wednesday before I can get going,then they're talking temps in the 20s and low 30s.
I sure wish that whole global warming thing would have panned out.

I think I would run the picker through it going slow and keep your head just skimming the ground. You will be surprised how little you will leave behind. I've picked corn that bad before and if you pay attention to keeping that head just skimming the dirt and left very little corn behind. At least whatever you get will be that much less you have to pick by hand.

Dad used what they call a corn saver shield years ago for a couple of years when corn was lying down some. It was a shield that you mounted in front of your right rear tractor tire. It picked up the corn and moved it along so you didn't run it down with your tire. I agree, I would try the picker out and see how it does. If it doesn't work you can always hand pick after that.

I dont pick.But you would be surprised on how much
those snouts will pick up.As was said make a gaurd
to protect/push corn away from the tire.

(quoted from post at 15:05:35 11/09/14) I always enjoyed picking corn from the time I was a kid. I traded my Ford mounted picker for a New Idea two row picker so I was really looking forward to trying it out. Then we had some really bad storms come thru. Looks like I'll be hand picking this year.
3F4986C4-8A4E-4846-9450-83BC20973585-964-000001336A5F9C22_zpsfaf2f41f.jpg

I am going to try the picker here in a couple of hours. I will let you know how it works out.

3 years ago a storm knocked mine flat and I wound up using a combine with a grain platform with a bat reel and it did a good job and was not even that slow except for I could not go up and down the field because the corn was down in one direction and every pass I had to run the turn row back to the other end to start again.

You'll be surprised what that picker will pickup. As long as all the pickup chains on the head are their and in working order.

I'm not looking forward to it either, I don't really
like corn! Elevator chain broke on the 300 husker
last night, fixed it this morning and brother is
coming to combine beans today.

(quoted from post at 02:08:32 11/10/14) For corn like that you need an International 1-PR. It'l pick it up
right off the ground.

I can honestly say I can't ever recall seeing an International picker of any model around here. I'm not really sure why because we had an IH dealer in town from the 1950's until the late 90's. All the pickers here were mainly New Idea and Ford,mostly New Idea though. There were a few Olivers and Deere pickers around here but they are rare.

It went pretty good until I picked a small rock up and it caused me throw a gathering chain. I will try to finish it tomorrow.
B1A592A9-EE20-4245-B7A7-59A971E29210-1677-000001AF7A3C67C8_zpsae6ad945.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back