Orange Thursday Tractor 2

Majorman

cvphoto168130.jpg

Allis Chalmers ED40. British built at Essindine, Lincolnshire. Powered by a 37hp and later 41 hp Standard Motor Company diesel engine, the same engine that was a failure in the Ferguson TE20 but, in the Allis, was modified slightly and became a success. Manufactured from 1961 to 1968 but could not compete with the mass sales of the MF35 and Fordson Dexta, then later the MF135 and the Ford 3000. Had a weird Live Drive system where drive to the rear axle was disconnected to stop forward movement and let the PTO continue to turn.
Allis Chalmers ED 40

One of them showed up at Empire Farm Days here in central NY back then. Local dealer knew nothing about it! None were sold here. My reading on them says something about the lift system busting, and that was the end.

Was interested in buying one at an auction in Northern PA many years ago. It looked great, but I knew nothing about it. Well known implement dealer from my home town was there and saw me checking it out and warned me to stay away from it. I took his advice.

I've owned a couple of those,not a bad tractor and very easy on fuel,unfortunately they came out back in the day many were against foreign built tractors no matter how good they were.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back