OT: ATT/Verizon

Slowpoke

I use Yahoo Mail as home page, but now I have to go thru Bing to get it. When the computer starts, Yahoo Mail is in the first search box, then "Waiting for Yahoo Mail" changes to "can't display page" and first search box chances to "Https://cprodmasx.att.com/crsdmn?tucd562=H.
If I type Bing in the first box, it comes up and then I can type Yahoo Mail and go to it. This has been happening for a couple of week at least.
Why is ATT sticking its nose in and causing trouble when Yahoo is now owned by Verizon?
Or do I have something else wrong?

Thanks

One of a number of things probably happened recently that could have changed your preferences (settings) in your browser. I don't/won't use anything but Firefox, so I can only tell you how that works and hope it is similar in your instance.

In Firefox, there are 3 horizontal lines in upper right corner. Click on them and choose "Options", then "Search". Make sure your homepage and search engine settings are as you want them, then delete any other choices.

Usually if you add new software to your PC, it will automatically change these things for you, or try to. Sometimes it can even happen from just an auto-update! That's why I keep my PC in more of a lockdown mode, so that no programs can make ANY changes or updates without my express approval.

After wife got her "smart" phone, we were just getting to where we knew where to find things. Then the phone did an auto-update and not only changed the icon locations, but even the icons themselves. And to top it all off, the auto-update ended up putting us over the monthly data allowance we had then!

IMHO ask a kid to fix it for you. They can do in seconds what takes me minutes or even hours sometimes to do.

The issue is probably with Bing. I WAS using Bing as my home page but it became increasingly slower and slower to load and would even lock up the computer until it finished loading. I changed my home page to the FireFox start page. It loads immediately and everything runs much smoother.

Sounds like an update messed with you. Bring up your Yahoo Mail and reset your home page. Don't know what browser you're using but IE won't work with my yahoo mail. Have to use chrome or firefox.

Some problems are with the new security requirements to keep hackers from stealing pages. Lot of the web sites are not updating the security code properly and it can cause the browser to hang up,, waiting for proper ssl code and verify the credentials.

SO>>>>>> based on which browser you use, and how it works with obsolete security credentials or how it refuses to accept illegal obsolete code, you may have problems.

Also ad blockers can affect how the page loads and sometimes make it hang up.

I use firefox has the primary browser, but keep other browsers around for the older, illegal, un-updated web sites, as firefox by design,, will not let illegal pages show up. Ironically my bank is still using the old web design, and can cause problems till they hire someone to upgrade to the new ssl code. You can go into the options and put exceptions in for older web sites, but even then, sites using older java code, will still not work with the newer -security updated browsers... SO I even keep a copy of the old microsoft internet explorer around for these old cameras and other old hardware devices that can not be updated to run the newer ssl and java code.

During peak periods ,the ad-servers can be slow and cause a web page to crator, as it will not load the full page till the ads are served up... And the ad server companies are all about money, and push all their servers to the max.... These "penny" ads pay for most of our web pages and are an evil of the modern internet. Someone or something has to pay....

I have been using Yahoo for years with IE. Now I have to use Bing/IE to get Yahoo. It loads Yahoo instantly.

If you are using the browser to get to e-mail on a home computer, consider getting a dedicated e-mail program to access your e-mail instead. I use Mozilla Thunderbird - works good and it's free to download.

(quoted from post at 13:17:52 02/19/18)
If you are using the browser to get to e-mail on a home computer, consider getting a dedicated e-mail program to access your e-mail instead. I use Mozilla Thunderbird - works good and it's free to download.
+1 for Thunderbird...this way you do not need Bing and IE to access your email.

In W 10 if you go to "Windows settings/Devices" and click the "Using metered connection " setting it should stop using more than your data allocation. IIRC.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back