OT Laying Carpet

Heyseed

NoT that kind of carpet! I need to install wall to wall carpet in an office tomorrow and wonder if there are any tricks I should know. The carpet is in a 12 foot roll 18 feet long. The room is 9X17. I have a knee kicker and am putting down new tack strips. What is rthe best way to cut down the roll (I have a carpet knife and a bunch of double sided razors to fit it. I have the tucking chisle and an edge cutter. I"m thinking to cut the roll a little longer than 9 foot and starting with the factory edge on the long wall then trimming the other side when in place. One tricky thing is the room has a corner about 4x4 at one end. Thanks for any help.

You have the right idea. Knee bump the rug into the trim wall, pound it into the tackless with a block chisel or stairway chisel and trim the extra with a sharp carpet knife. be careful not to cut it short. If the baseboard iS higher than the floor, it isn't too hard to trim. You can rent an edge trimmer, that WILL MAKE IT EASIER. Take your time and don't cut anything short. You can tuck the cut end under the base. If you cut short, a power stretcher will allow you to bring enough rug over to cover your mistakes.

I have a tool that I think is an edge trimmer, It looks like a finish tool for concrete with two blades in it. Is that whit is?

Let me get this straight.
You are laying carpet in an office tomorrow and asking us if we know how to do it?
Are you getting paid to do this? You have a lot of 8alls to lay carpet and NOT know how to do it.
Good Luck, you'll need it.

Thanks Smart, no this is not for pay. It is my office and sorry if it bugs you that I ask for tips. It has only been about 20 years since I did carpet the last time. There are only a few guys on YT that know EVERYTHING and I"m not one of them.

Good for you for trying it yourself. Sometimes a person has to try to save a little to make things go.

Got it done today, worked out just perfect.
a34379.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back