OT: None Better

Dean

Folks, The N & W class J locomotives represented the Zenith of steam locomotive design.

The 4-8-4 class J locomotives could produce more than 5,000 drawbar HP, more than enough to power the brass express passenger trains of the day at 100 MPH and beyond.

FWIW: Modern SD units, can produce somewhere around 3,000 - 4,000 HP to the rails.

Dean
N & W Class J

Not far from me Lima, Ohio built steam locomotives. I think it's a pity they didn't save at least a couple of their engines in some type of display - even if it had to be outdoors.

If you like anything on rails, check out the National Transportation Museum at St Louis. Was there last weekend. LOTS of engines, coal and diesel, and other stuff!. Some automobiles and a few old trucks. They have a website.

And they started my dad's pasture on fire twice, when i was a kid !!The ruts my dad left behind, when he plowed a fire break, were there for years!

Thanks Dean!!! My Mother-in-law loved to hear those engines. They lived just a few blocks away from the tracts. The N&W 611 would have been by her house many times. She did complain about the soot. They knew the schedule well enough to hurry and pull in laundry off the lines so it would not get dirty again. LOL

Another thing is these was a golden time in American history in my opinion. WWII was won. The country was booming and growing like crazy.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back