OT trying for the 4th time

We've have one more thing to do. Need metal bestos 5 ft and a rain cap for the outdoor furnace and then we're set to go.When we turned the circulator pumps on,( the boiler tank holds 400 gallon of water, which means that the water temp 0f 170 deg plus) will heat the house and garage a comfortable 74 degrees or better, but we found 3 leaks at the heavy bronze fittings, had to shut off the hot and return side at the circulator so we could drain the water out and re-solder them.
Now that those are fixed, we have to re-wrap the insulation for the pex pipe and add the rust inhibitor, which will be done today.The outdoor wood furnace will be a saving grace in more ways than one.#1 no more smoke and dust in the house, and above all, it does away with the fire hazard. My son has to do the same operation as we have, will haul the concrete rerod and mixer over to her house using the 706 tractor for hauling and lifting. I just thought you might be interested in the project as we started it in June, till Aug 7th, less the chimney. Will make one more item for the furnace, a rake to remove the ashes, then it will be wood time after the potatoes are dug in Sept.Will use the hay wagon to bring the wood home in lengths. It sure was an interesting project for us, a first time for us.I'm off now to sharpen chainsaw chains.
Warmest regards,
LOU

Lou,

Great to see that you and your son are still doing projects together.

You'll be nice and warm this winter.

Hello Lou always enjoy your writing and sharing. What do you use for the RUST INHIBATOR sp.?

What are you using for antifreeze? With the Wisconsin frost line frequently going down more than five feet, I sure wouldn't want to have the transfer fluid freezing solid if the fire goes out. Or are you just using an air transfer system?

We live in North Central Wisconsin, and have had Outside Wood Furnaces for 30 years. The system now just has Inhibitor in it, and no Antifreeze. If we go away in the Winter the neighbor Fires up for us, or we turn on the LP Furnace in the house, and the Water stays warm by drawing heat from the house. As long as it stays circulating it doesn't freeze. Steve

400 gallons is a good sized boiler, how many buildings or how much space are you heating?

Two buildings: House is 26=X=36 (basement is same size)and the garage is different size only one story,32X34.When we looked at the unit,we didn't know anything about it till we bought it.Called the CO that mfg the unit and they sent us the information right away,so we read on it. BTU rating is 500,000 .The CO had the previous owners listed but no way to contact em. Being that it was meant for was a single dwelling,so we made it to heat 2 buildings,home and garage.Took awhile to figure it all out,but sure was a lot of fun doing .My Son in Law bought one before us and I was thrilled he did.His is a much smaller unit and he heats his home and going to hook up a heater for his garage,which has a high ceiling with 3 large overhead doors 10X14. He is having problems hooking up the thermostats.Rice Lake sheet metal wants $500.00 to do it. Son bought Honeywell thermostat and it was 4hrs on the phone and the tech rep couldn't figure it out but son did a couple of hrs later,(on a RAIN DAY!!)to do his hookups. Appreciate your comments. Regards Lou.

That's all we are going to do.NO antifreeze just inhibitor and soft water.I'm home bound so if I can manage,(barring power failure) and we have a back up generator,it will all work out.
Regards LOU,

See above reply.Tubing is 1" plex 5 wrap buried 4 feet under ground with 2" darafoam at driveway opening.I understand,from information given ,frost here is unsafe at 5ft if walking over water lines and 7ft if driven over.The company we bought the tubing from told us that 3 ft is sufficient with their insulation(5 wrap) so we should be O.K.Thanks for your reply.Regards Lou.

Cor Quest 1200.Is what we are using,circulators going now so it will mix with the water.Sure is a lot for an OLD F-art to learn.Regards LOU.

Sorry to hear that you are homebound but good point is that you don't need antifreeze. Friend of mine built a four bedroom three bath home. Also heated his machine shed. The antifreeze cost his $1200 alone. After three years the guy who installed it said an additive had caused the antifreeze to go bad and friend had to replace all the liquid. Other than that he likes the outdoor burner. The house has in floor heating and the shed has an old furnace with a coil in it.

We bought our outdoor furnace 18 years ago. Even helped with units they sold because of ours. Have seen temporary installations done in winter with pipe and insulation laid on top of ground. Once spring arrives they buried the lines.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back