paint--again

kenbob

Getting ready to paint my VAC which will be an outside work tractor, and later the 351. I thought I would get a gallon of good paint for both. Well
at NAPA I got a price of about 474.00 a gallon for Flambeau and that was the cheapest paint!!!! I know when I painted an SC using the IH Power red
it was only about $90 4 years ago. What are you using? My brother is a body man and he says the IH is good paint, though i really would like to
get the right color on the 351. Most folks think the Van Sickle isn't that great of paint. I have used Rustoleum chevy engine red on some of the
parts and it sure seems to be the exact color. It goes on well and is a good price. Problem with that is 1. I can't find it in gallons, only spray.
2. Since it is meant for engines, it would not need to have much in the anti-fade category since it is under the hood. Paint always gets a lively
discussion going. I am all ears. IT would seem the best paint for the money would be the IH Power Red tinted to match Flambeau...like anybody knows
how to do that!

You really do get what you pay for in paints. Some one said something like this on this forum, if you are going to do a half arsed job on paint removal and prep, get a half arsed paint. If on the other hand your going to grind and wire wheel sand and sand and clean and clean and clean get the best primer and paint available and you will never regret your work or your paint choice. just my humble opinion, based on the complete paint removal from two tractors and use of expensive paint. Wash those tractors with soap and water and they look as good now as they did ten years ago. They both spend the summers baling hay so they are not hidden in the shed. No fade a few chips a couple rust spots(bad prep) one blister, gotta get all the oil and grease off......gobble

You need to check around more. I buy all my paint from my local CNH dealer. Here is an invoice from this past Aug. Far cheaper than you are stating here. I do buy a compatible hardener from my local auto parts supply for about 20 bucks, and that is enough for 2 gals, of paint.
Loren

cvphoto12877.jpg

When the tractors were new, they were painted with what we call "Machinery Enamel" today. I have little time for the restorer that uses $400.00 per gallon paint, then says "Don't Touch!!" "Get Away!!" I have restored 5 tractors, and we use them, all painted with Van Sickle Paint. No greater satisfaction than jumping on a fully restored tractor and using it.
We sell gallons and gallons of Van Sickle Paint, and I always highly recommend hardener with it. We have never had a complaint back. I publicly ask anyone of our customers to complain here and now if you were not happy. I would bet that Van Sickle makes CASE IH paint for them. BTW, you'd never find IH Red on any of my Flambeau tractors, no matter who made it.

The only trouble with IH is it doesn't sell Flambeau red. My brother, who paints lots and lots of tractors in his work, says the IH paint is good and has better anti fade characteristics than most paints. He thinks I should go with their power red as the best option for the money.

I have a hay wagon painted with van sickle paint and it is badly faded and more pink than red. I also did a plow at the same time with the same paint and it also faded and turned pink. I've also seen many others that the same thing happened to. But in my case I did not use hardener and they tell me that makes a difference.

Jon-Jon-Jon!!!!!! Next time you are here, take a look at the SC I restored and painted in 1996!! Looks as good now as then. My 1st restoration.

If you'd paint it the wrong color, what do you care how good it is anyways? IH red on a VAC? Wrong!! Wrong!! Wrong!!

The color red is really prone to fading. It would probably be worth it to purchase an automotive paint so you didn't end up with a pink tractor.

I much prefer Power Red to Flambeau, but it is your tractor. Most people will never know the difference.
Which color is my 931 and 8358 plow in the pic.
Loren
cvphoto12897.jpg

Find a place where the original paint was protected and is the right color. Take a sample to your paint supplier and they can computer match and do a custom blend exactly the same color as your sample. That is how we did my SC.

cvphoto12903.jpg

John, did you clearcoat? I find clearcoat helps with fading.

And the suggestion by someone to Use Chevy Engine Red by RustOleum, it dose fade, fast.

Kenbob, When I restored my dads VAC 1950, I used the best paint and paid the price. For you see this tractor means a lot to me. When I take it to shows people enjoy looking at it and sit on it. The paint shines when it is dirty. I wish I could post a picture of it for you. It sits in my shop dusty now and shines under the lights. I will also tell you it has hardner and clear coat. Jerry from Ohio

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back