Planting alfalfa experiment

Yesterday I over-seeded this grass hayfield with alfalfa. Im sure not recommended but here is what I did
anyway: seeded about 12 lbs per acre with my IH #10 drill. I modified the drill by installing new vinyl
drop tubes straight down into the double disc openers rather than dropping on the ground behind. My
drill has a rear hitch so I pull a cultipacker. Then I ran my disc mower over the entire field and mowed it
as short as possible, the skid plates and tires pressing down again. Got a good 1 inch of rain since last
night.
cvphoto135431.jpg

I now plan to over seed the alfalfa field to the left with orchard grass. I planted that to grass alfalfa mix
this time 2 years ago. It looked great until last August. It got very dry and the grass got croaked off by
the alfalfa. So, I am trying 2 opposites and hope for success both times. Ha.
cvphoto135432.jpg

This 1st cutting grass field is planted 2 years ago same time. I ran a disc over it 2x and drilled the seed
into the loose soil. Works good and is minimal tillage. I use to plow to establish alfalfa but only discing
now.

Been in grass for about 6 years. I didnt want to burn down the grass any because I have lost the grass in several new fields planted to alfalfa grass mix. The grass seems to die out in August when it gets hot and dry. So I am going to see how this goes. I have been planting a late maturing orchard grass and that could be the problem.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back