Plow day hauler

Fordy20

So I'm invited to a plowday. Gooseneck trailer, tractor and plow weigh 18,000#. Two possible tow trucks:

1979 F-350 with a 12' flat bed, 23,000 original miles, 351M V8, four speed and all new radial tires (truck looks new). The owners manual says it can
tow a gooseneck weighing up to 10,000# with a 460V8 (only shows conventional towing with a 351 max 5000# with a desert cooler radiator.

2012 F-150 3.5 V6 with the max tow package rated to tow 11,300#.

So I could use the F-350.
I could use the F-150.
I could stay home and skip plow day.

Just found it all kind of interesting. Like to hear your comments.

How far are you hauling? How heavy is your tractor/plow?I pull with a '70 F100. 302,4s. 10,000 puond gooseneck trailer. don't go far,or very fast, but it gets me there.

Well you know what that means .
cvphoto18889.jpg

cvphoto18890.jpg

I think I?d take the dually if it was me

The '79 F350.

There has never been a better looking truck than the 79 F series Fords. I would like to find another one myself.

The F-150 you describe is exactly what I drive. Although it is a very capable trailer puller for the weight you're talking about it shouldn't be in your list of possibilities. While the old F-350 will need to take its time due to relatively low engine power the stability of the heavier dual-wheel chassis is more important for towing that kind of weight.

Where is the ball located on that 12' flatbed? Its almost has to be well behind the axle for it to work with a trailer. That's a good chunk of weight behind a 150, but I'd bet it has better brakes and just as much power as the 79.
AaronSEIA

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back