Pre oil the pre filter or not?

Greenfrog

On my old Cub Cadet 108 and on a 129, I have always put a little oil on the pre filter…the foam filter that goes around the paper filter. We have all done it…wash out the old, and squeeze in a little oil, new or old.
New Theory: I purchased a new JD lawn tractor, Kawasaki engine. Now they say NOT to pre oil. Install dry. The oil will soak up the paper, clog it up, and then not as efficient. Does make sense. Any ideas, any discussion here?

I've never done it.

That would make it quite hard to shake/carefully blow the the dust out of it occasionally.
My old Kohler manual says to oil and squeeze....I never liked that idea for the same reason Kawasaki cites.
I install dry and blow it clean every time I mow.
Been doing this for years and always remove lots of dust.
I am curious......does Kawasaki recommend regular cleaning of the pre-filter?

Follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Please note: the Kawasaki has no carburetor adjustments and if you oil the pre-filter it will probably run rich and possibly foul the spark plugs.
The old Cub Cadets had adjustable jets in their carburetors so if the air was restricted you just restrict the fuel a bit as well and all was good.

Please note: the Kawasaki has no carburetor adjustments and if you oil the pre-filter it will probably run rich and possibly foul the spark plugs.
The old Cub Cadets had adjustable jets in their carburetors so if the air was restricted you just restrict the fuel a bit as well and all was good.
Good point. Probably good for all to know. Thanks

Mine has fuel injection. jd X590

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back