Programmable thermostats

super99

Our church needs a new programable thermostat to turn the heat up on Sunday morning and keep it from freezing through the week. We have hot water baseboard heat that was installed in the late 60’s and still have the original boiler. It has 2 wires that run to the thermostat. A member bought this one and donated it to the church. I am looking at the manual trying to figure out how to install it. It has 8 screws and I’m not sure which one is hook wires onto or if it will even work with our old system. There has to be someone smarter than me on here that knows if it will work or not. Thanks, Chris
IMG_2261.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2259.jpeg
    IMG_2259.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 17
For a two wire heating only thermostat the standard connection would be to R & W.

SOME electronic t-stats require a third wire connected to "C" to function properly and help extend battery life.

I DID NOT dig up the factory instructions for yours to see if it even has replaceable batteries or if a wire to "C" may be needed.

Hopefully, it will work just fine with connections to R and W.

With only 2 wires, the way I see it would be the R and W terminals, the R being the 24 VAC or milliamp source, and the W being the load (solenoid).

Be sure this is a 24 v or milliamp system, NOT line voltage!

On page 9-10 of the manual you need to go into Advanced Installation, go into function 3 and change it to setting 3. The instructions are there along with a customer service number.

You may want to make sure there is not more than one thermostat in the building. With boilers there are two ways that they can operate, from a hot boiler or a cold boiler. The hot boiler has a control where it maintains a set water temperature and the thermostat controls a zone valve and a circulating pump, of which there may be one or more. A cold fired boiler will only heat the water on a call for heat from the thermostat and will fire a circulating pump at the same time. The thermostat is wired the same, one to RH and the other to W, its just that if there is more than one, you might not be gaining much if only one is a programable.

With only 2 wires, the way I see it would be the R and W terminals, the R being the 24 VAC or milliamp source, and the W being the load (solenoid).

Be sure this is a 24 v or milliamp system, NOT line voltage!

On page 9-10 of the manual you need to go into Advanced Installation, go into function 3 and change it to setting 3. The instructions are there along with a customer service number.
Make that Function 5, to setting 3.
Sorry!

You may want to make sure there is not more than one thermostat in the building. With boilers there are two ways that they can operate, from a hot boiler or a cold boiler. The hot boiler has a control where it maintains a set water temperature and the thermostat controls a zone valve and a circulating pump, of which there may be one or more. A cold fired boiler will only heat the water on a call for heat from the thermostat and will fire a circulating pump at the same time. The thermostat is wired the same, one to RH and the other to W, its just that if there is more than one, you might not be gaining much if only one is a programable.
There are 2 thermostats, one upstairs and one downstairs. I believe they are on separate circuits, we keep the basement about 48 unless we are doing something there. The upstairs is set to warm up at 9 and turn back down at 11:30 on Sunday, the rest of the week it is set on 48. The boiler keeps the water inside the boiler warm until the thermostat calls for heat.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back