New Mexico

New User
I have a ford 400o 3 cylinder diesel with an automatic transmission. I’m trying to put a new fuel tank in and can’t figure out how to undo the in dash pro cable. Do I need to take the cover off where it hooks into the transmission. I don’t see anyway to disconnect the cable from the switch

There is a very small spring pin that has to be driven out, then remove nut. Do not have to remove cable, loosen nut oat cover. That should get the cowl off.

I have a ford 400o 3 cylinder diesel with an automatic transmission. I’m trying to put a new fuel tank in and can’t figure out how to undo the in dash pro cable. Do I need to take the cover off where it hooks into the transmission. I don’t see anyway to disconnect the cable from the switch
Removing the roll pin will allow removal of the PTO handle.

Not sure what you are planning to do but be careful if removing the cable(s) from the transmission. Expensive damage can be caused by improper technique. Suggest procuring proper manual and reading and understanding the proper technique before starting.

Read the service manual on the proper procedure for removing and reinstalling the PTO cable. I don't believe the 3 cylinder S-O-S models had a roll pin for the handle. At least my 3 cylinder 4000 with an S-O-S does not. And the service manual does not mention a roll pin. The proper procedure is to loosen the nuts on both ends of the PTO cable conduit, one down on the top of the transmission and the other on the back of the dash panel behind where the handle is. Then when the conduit is loose you turn the handle clockwise to unscrew the end of the cable inside the transmission from the control valve actuator. Then the entire cable, including the handle, will pull out of the conduit and the conduit will be able to be removed. Re-installation is just the opposite, but the manual has specific instructions on turning the handle until it is tight, and then backing it out a certain number of turns to get the proper range of movement of the handle to properly and fully open and close the PTO engagement valve inside the transmission.

Removing the roll pin will allow removal of the PTO handle.

Not sure what you are planning to do but be careful if removing the cable(s) from the transmission. Expensive damage can be caused by improper technique. Suggest procuring proper manual and reading and understanding the proper technique before starting.
I do see a small pin about the size of a straight pin. I just didn’t think it’s a roll pin

Read the service manual on the proper procedure for removing and reinstalling the PTO cable. I don't believe the 3 cylinder S-O-S models had a roll pin for the handle. At least my 3 cylinder 4000 with an S-O-S does not. And the service manual does not mention a roll pin. The proper procedure is to loosen the nuts on both ends of the PTO cable conduit, one down on the top of the transmission and the other on the back of the dash panel behind where the handle is. Then when the conduit is loose you turn the handle clockwise to unscrew the end of the cable inside the transmission from the control valve actuator. Then the entire cable, including the handle, will pull out of the conduit and the conduit will be able to be removed. Re-installation is just the opposite, but the manual has specific instructions on turning the handle until it is tight, and then backing it out a certain number of turns to get the proper range of movement of the handle to properly and fully open and close the PTO engagement valve inside the transmission.
The service Manuel that I’m reading on line talks about using pto but I can’t find anywhere in it about removing the cable. Thanks for your help it’s very useful and I’ll keep doing some research

The service Manuel that I’m reading on line talks about using pto but I can’t find anywhere in it about removing the cable. Thanks for your help it’s very useful and I’ll keep doing some research
If the manual that you are looking at tells you how to operate the PTO and not how to remove the cable, then that is the Operator's Manual not the Service Manual.

OK, the service manual does have a picture that shows what might be a roll pin, but it never mentions removing that pin to remove the handle. If you do go that route, there are actually two nuts that you would need to remove. One nut holds the handle housing to the dash panel and the other holds the conduit to the rear of the handle housing.

OK, the service manual does have a picture that shows what might be a roll pin, but it never mentions removing that pin to remove the handle. If you do go that route, there are actually two nuts that you would need to remove. One nut holds the handle housing to the dash panel and the other holds the conduit to the rear of the handle housing.
I turned it clockwise 15 times and it slide right out. I have replaced by putting it in and turning it counter clock ways 15 times . That handle has been turned so many times over the years( including me turning it) that I don’t know if 15 is correct or not .

You need to follow the procedure in the manual to get it correct. Who knows if those 15 turns that it took to get it out was actually the proper adjustment to begin with. I'm near my manual now so I just took a look. My memory was incorrect, it is not a specific amount of turns, it is a specific range of motion. It says that with the handle pushed all of the way in that there should be a small amount of clearance between the housing and the handle, but it doesn't say exactly how much clearance. What appears to be the important measurement is how far the handle moves from fully pushed in to fully pulled out. That measurement needs to be between 1-3/8" and 1-7/16"

You need to follow the procedure in the manual to get it correct. Who knows if those 15 turns that it took to get it out was actually the proper adjustment to begin with. I'm near my manual now so I just took a look. My memory was incorrect, it is not a specific amount of turns, it is a specific range of motion. It says that with the handle pushed all of the way in that there should be a small amount of clearance between the housing and the handle, but it doesn't say exactly how much clearance. What appears to be the important measurement is how far the handle moves from fully pushed in to fully pulled out. That measurement needs to be between 1-3/8" and 1-7/16"
Ok thank you. I don’t have a Manuel so this is very helpful

Before doing any more work on that transmission, you need to get yourself a Service Manual for that tractor. If you start taking things apart without following the proper procedures then you will likely end up with a lot more work on your hands than you initially anticipated when you started. Things need to be done the right way or other things inside could fall out of place or possibly even be damaged if they are done the wrong way, and the difference between right way and the wrong way could simply be loosening some external screw or nut without knowing what it's connected to on the inside. If some things fall out of p[lace inside then you could end up having to split the tractor and disassemble a lot of the interior of the transmission from the rear just to get to what dropped out of place. Since you are taking the dash off to replace the fuel tank, what did yo do to remove the gear selector from the dash?

Before doing any more work on that transmission, you need to get yourself a Service Manual for that tractor. If you start taking things apart without following the proper procedures then you will likely end up with a lot more work on your hands than you initially anticipated when you started. Things need to be done the right way or other things inside could fall out of place or possibly even be damaged if they are done the wrong way, and the difference between right way and the wrong way could simply be loosening some external screw or nut without knowing what it's connected to on the inside. If some things fall out of p[lace inside then you could end up having to split the tractor and disassemble a lot of the interior of the transmission from the rear just to get to what dropped out of place. Since you are taking the dash off to replace the fuel tank, what did yo do to remove the gear selector from the dash?
I agree.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back