PTO Pump Driven Log Splitter?

Speaking of "step up"...an N tractor with a Sherman step up will run your pump at 540PTO RPM at low engine RPM. They are only 23-ish horsepower, so rate accordingly.

Another choice to cheapen the fuel use of a larger tractor is if you have an older farmall with the dual 540/100RPM PTO outputs. At the home farm, my brother got a 1000RPM to 540RPM shaft adapter, and runs the PTO generator off of the 1000RPM shaft. With a 70HP tractor and a 25KW generator... you can easily let the tractor hum along at a lower engine RPM, saving fuel, while your generator is at 540RPM and putting out rated voltage. You could do the same with a hydraulic pump.

Third choice is if you have a modern tractor with the two speed PTO transmission. Our Mahindra 6075 has a two speed PTO, regular and economy. Regular is 540PTO RPM at 2000 engine RPM. Economy will do the 540PTO RPM at about 1500 engine RPM.

I know a small engine may use less fuel... but...it's still another engine to keep running, and if you're only going to use it here and there, the engine will die from fuel crud and other aging aspects before you ever get the rated hours out of it.

If I can, I try to eliminate as many small engines around the farm as I can... if our Ford 2N can do the same job from its PTO.

Thats a totally different set up than these old homemade
units that will never get hot. U got a small pump and
small orfices and higher pressures. I put a gauge on
mine and it splits the logs under 1000 psi on most. Can
run all afternoon and hardly warm.

I have a 30 some ton splitter got from Northern Tool with a Honda motor.will split horizontal or vertical.Cost about $2000 way better than any homemade or 3pt splitter I have ever seen.

Tractordad, what a timely post. I have two log splitters (in the hopes one will start and run when I want to spit wood). Spent some time and money on the old B&S engine this spring, ran the carb dry yet still won't start a couple of weeks ago when tried. Bought a non running 9N for $600.00. Tightened the battery cables and it starts and runs and is kind of handy. Told the wife the other day thought about buying a pot pump and using that Ford for the splitter, no more single cylinder engines.

Thanks for all of the information folks.

mvphoto108264.jpg

I made this one to also work vertical and it works great in elm and ash.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back