Bob Collins

I have a new PTO wood chipper that came with a drive shaft. The guard on the shaft has a light chain to keep it from sliding apart when it is not hooked up. Is it necessary or advisable to remove that chain when using the implement?

Probably not. If the sleeves are free to spin and have the same frictional resistance to a degree, the tighter one will outspeed the other one, wrap the chain somewhat around the pieces (depending on chain length) and stay there till you shut it off. The other chains on shaft sleeves are there to tie to a deadman to keep the sleeves from spinning with the shaft.

Personally I dont really agree with or understand those little chains, but of course one has to say they must be used correctly at all times or face the wrath of the govt, insurance companies, and the safety police squad.

I guess its fine when stuff is new, but in the real world the older way seemed more dependable for a longer time.

Paul

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back