Pull knob ignition switch

drewpallett

New User
I have just started working on my grandfather’s 1940 9N tractor, which has been sitting for about 60 years. It has a pull knob switch on the dash lower left, rather than a key. I assume that this is an older ignition switch. I have read that old key switches cause too much electrical resistance because of corrosion, and should be replaced. I could install a new key switch, but would prefer to retain the old knob switch, if possible. Does anyone know if these can be successfully disassembled and cleaned up?
IMG_0424.jpeg
 
The biggest problem with key switches is there are a lot of cheap junk out there that won't last and will cause problems.
 
I have just started working on my grandfather’s 1940 9N tractor, which has been sitting for about 60 years. It has a pull knob switch on the dash lower left, rather than a key. I assume that this is an older ignition switch. I have read that old key switches cause too much electrical resistance because of corrosion, and should be replaced. I could install a new key switch, but would prefer to retain the old knob switch, if possible. Does anyone know if these can be successfully disassembled and cleaned up?View attachment 166516
If it's a really old switch, you almost certainly can disassemble, clean and reassemble.
 
I have just started working on my grandfather’s 1940 9N tractor, which has been sitting for about 60 years.
Hello Drew, welcome to YT! What else have you done to the tractor, do you know if the engine will even turn or is it locked from setting? Usually after that amount of time if not in a temperature controlled environment the cylinders rust and pistons stick. You most likely have bigger fish to fry than an ignition switch, we can tell you how to bypass it with a wire to just start the engine if it will turn. What kind of mechanical experience do you have? Knowing this will help us hone our answers towards your ability.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top