question for those who know

r.w.b.

i got dads number 5 .it mowed lots of hay still mows great. but bottom seal gave
out. bearings are still tight for age,prolly from great quality bearings from 1945
era.
now my question how do you get flywheel off> trying to figure if you hook a bar
somehow on the key and hit flywheel with hammer to loosen it up?
if im not mistaken it looks like you set flywheel on the shaft to almost flush with
front of flywheel ,then drive key into keyway till it locks flywheel in place. ive
studied my manual lots too. the key they show is straight but mine looks like its
got a head on it.
was thinkin of welding a piece on key if needed to help remove it

you have a jib key, there is a puller that hooks over the head of the key to pull the key out. Most of the old flywheel motors flywheel are held on the same way, look up jib key (spelling) puller.
good luck kurt

If it was my #5 sickle mower I forego replacing seal & install equivalent off Corn head grease in housing. I think CH grease will be fine for # 5 drive chain. I've put Corn head grease in every implement gearbox that I own that has a faulty seal.

Get a tube or two of John Deere corn head grease... If everything is tight- not
broken, leave all togeather.. Corn head grease will lub just fine.

After thought; regardless of what you do, make sure the gear-case vent is open.. It is on the top cover lid at the top left corner.. Needs to be open to relieve heat pressure build-up..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back