Re: No acceleration

That's a nice reach around.
It could be suggested that bad rings would lean to bad compression and a vacuum problem.
I have seen one engine with that condition and the only reason it would start was the fuel injection.
Yours still starts and I highly doubt you have a compression problem.
Put your thumb over the plug hole and crank it. If low compression, your thumb will not be dislodged while
cranking it over.
As others have said, check linkage, etc.

If you guys are posting on Classic and see that Re: on the front of the post title you need to take the evil action and poke the Modern View button. A lot of what you are recommending has been covered there.

Hi FredSimp,
When idling like a kitten, look at
the carb's idle set screw, and its
stop pin.

Is your butterfly almost floored,
or is it only open about .010?

Its possible at mid throttle, with
engine at idle rpm, the carb
butterfly is floored, or nearly
floored.

If so, my theory is a rusted out
manifold, letting exhaust into the
intake mix, diluting it.

To test, would need to remove the
manifold, and pour water in the
exhaust. If water runs out the
intake, its no good.

Soaked, I do not know Fords but here is what I would say from my experience with other engines. If the manifold would be ate through enough that the carb throttle plate has to be open at some angle to keep it running I certainly would not describe the way it would be running as ..purring like a kitten.. The way others might describe..purring.. must vary quite a bit. Not saying that the problem you are suggesting could in no way be the problem, it very well could be.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back