Re: Rotary cutter vs flail cutter

Gene Davis (Ga.)

I have been using Mott flail mowers since the mid 1970's. I am on my second one now. You are right they do a much
nicer job of cutting neatly. They do a nice job, but don't like garden hoses, wire and vines that wrap around the
drum and choke them down. There are different types of flail blades available. I use the finer cut ones on my
mower. I have only sharpened my blades twice in almost 20 years. I have modified mine so it has gauge wheels in
the front and a floating top link so it follows the ground contour better and scalps less. Flail Master Co.in TN
carries a lot of parts for these mowers. Mott was bought by the Alamo Company and they still make flail mowers but
most are sold to city and county governments. Either you love them or hate them, there is seldom any middle ground
owners. I also have a rare Mott flail push mower that is about 28" cut and has a 3 1/2 hp Clinton engine on it.
Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.

I guess it depends what you want the mower for. I have a 6 ft woods rotary. I used it for years. doing mowing jobs for others. Then I came across a flail mower. In dry weeds it does a good job, If the weeds are not dry, some of them would be very tough, and not cut clean. I would make a second pass some times. If something wraps around the blade drum you could be down for a few hours removing it. My flail tractor was down with a radiator problem. I had to use my rotary mower. I sharpened the blades, and it did a good job. I may start using it more. My flail mower is a lot wider than my 6 ft rotary, and the job goes faster. What's also good, is it rolls the weeds flat, and makes a good job. That's what the fire dept likes, nothing standing. Stan

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back