Removing the lift gate

RedMF40

I have an estimate from a local truck repair to replace the lift gate deck on my truck. It's shot. $2500. Not horrible bad but since this is a first for me I don't know if that's a good or bad price. Just replacing the deck. Nothing else.

I'd like to remove the old deck myself because I like doing this kind of stuff and I have a new bottle of fuel I'm itching to use. I also plan to keep the deck for some other use or just scrap it. From what I see, there are just two hinges, one on each side, that need to be cut.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan, to cut off the hinge? Or is there a lot more to this job than I'm seeing? I know enough not to cut through the upright flanges or brackets on the lift assembly. I'll clear this with the repair shop before moving ahead with this plan. They may have other ideas.

See attached photos, and thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Gerrit
mvphoto98213.jpg

mvphoto98214.jpg

mvphoto98215.jpg

Consulting with the company/shop that will replace it is critical. If the pivot for the gate is to be replaced, cutting th shaft off near where your circle is
would work. Cutting in that crevice is near impossible. cutting a chunk out of the existing platform maybe 1/2inch away and 3 inches long making a notch in the
platform would leave material they might need to do the replacement (this assumes they need the shaft. Ask them, Jim

(quoted from post at 18:49:01 10/09/22) Consulting with the company/shop that will replace it is critical.

Agreed. Last thing I want is to botch their repair job. I can drop by with the truck and explain what I have in mind. Thanks for the reply. Gerrit

I have a Tommy Lift that I take off when I pull the goose neck. When folded up I take the tension off with a big wrench, take the bolt out, then just take the bolts out if the pins that hold it on.
When I put it back on , just reverse the procedure. Mine has a aluminium bi fold deck.

The quoted price included them removing the old parts, correct?

Then I would just tell them you want the old parts back as intact as possible.

If you take it apart, and it makes more work for them, then the price will go up!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back