Request for filters change

cpratt

Administrator
Staff member
It has been requested by several people that they would like the thread list order (shown as "Filters" on the page) of a forum to remain at "First message". I have determined how to do that on a per-user basis, but it will have to wait until our team meets this next week because the change involves more complex development and testing on another server that is not currently synchronized with this system. I just wanted you to know that it's not forgotten, just takes some time.

This change will also pave the way to add in the capability of expanding the thread list (optionally) so that individual post usernames are shown indented in that list as they were in classic view. This was by far the biggest complaint in the new system as having an index into a thread is not a normal concept in forums now. It became clear through the complaints, that this is how many Classic off-topic users learned navigate a thread rather than reading it.

Both these two options will be selectable independently through the Username->Preferences when available.

It has been requested by several people that they would like the thread list order (shown as "Filters" on the page) of a forum to remain at "First message". I have determined how to do that on a per-user basis, but it will have to wait until our team meets this next week because the change involves more complex development and testing on another server that is not currently synchronized with this system. I just wanted you to know that it's not forgotten, just takes some time.

This change will also pave the way to add in the capability of expanding the thread list (optionally) so that individual post usernames are shown indented in that list as they were in classic view. This was by far the biggest complaint in the new system as having an index into a thread is not a normal concept in forums now. It became clear through the complaints, that this is how many Classic off-topic users learned navigate a thread rather than reading it.

Both these two options will be selectable independently through the Username->Preferences when available.
;)Soon you will have the new system just as ''patched'' as the old system!;)

That's a good observation. We had the same one when we started this. We selected this software over the other popular forum software because it has a way of adding features with minimal disruption to it's core. The core can be updated and if a feature we add breaks, we can fix it without hacking up the rest of the system. Compare the forum software to your browser, and the changes we make are like the addons you add to your browser. They are even called addons too.

That thought crossed my mind as well.
It's great that you're trying to accommodate as many folks as possible, but at some point people are going to have to realize that this is how it works now, and adapt to it. Every other forum I've been on has used this type of format for years, and it works fine. They just need to get used to it.
No disrespect intended toward anyone, but I'm afraid that's the way it is.

That thought crossed my mind as well.
It's great that you're trying to accommodate as many folks as possible, but at some point people are going to have to realize that this is how it works now, and adapt to it. Every other forum I've been on has used this type of format for years, and it works fine. They just need to get used to it.
No disrespect intended toward anyone, but I'm afraid that's the way it is.
There is truth in what you say, but we'd prefer to let them make that decision over time, or not at all if we can keep these forums from devolving into the technical mess the old two-view forums became and still meet the need. The other thing is these changes I'm making to this software, can be turned off with a click of a checkbox so it's not so one-way as it was on the old systems.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back