Restoring round-top fenders for '49A

Not sure why I am writing this... maybe just looking for sympathy or advice. Bought a pair of fenders on eBay, based on description and a couple of pictures. Haven't seen the fenders myself yet, but as luck would have it, a friend of mine has family living close to the seller, so they picked them up for me... and will be trucking them my way someday soon. My friend's family said the fenders are in REALLY rough shape... maybe I bought scrap?!?!?

Does anyone know of a person/place in northern Illinois who has experience with restoring fenders (structurally as well as cosmetically)? I gotta do something to show my wife that this was a good purchase decision...

Maybe try doing them yourself. Got nothing to lose and might get some good training in body work. Besides you could use it for an excuse to buy some more tools. Can't help with the wife part, but keep them hidden as much as possible.

I'm sure you will find out why one doesn't buy sheet metal on e-bay.Those style fenders never held up very good to rust and vibration. I'm a body man by trade and I have bid on a lot of fenders/grills but have never gotten any simply because I see bad things others may not and shipping is so expensive on sheet metal and if I allow for both of these I will never get the bid over someone who doesn't. I do my own re-work and STILL can't win a bid. I imagine there are a lot more stories like yours out there but not many will admit they got took. The only set of round tops I bid high on was a set of NOS and you could tell it. They brought over $600! Not from me.

I own a body shop in the Rockford Illinois area(also farm)we do tractor restorations as well as the usual collision work. I would be more than happy to take a look at them. Shoot me an email [email protected]

Thanks!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back