round 2 it job!

Geo-TH,In

I have a 220v condenser fan motor.
I need a 120v power vent motor in my pole
They want too much for a replacement motor.
The 220v motor will run on 120v with no fan attached.

I'll monitor the temperature of the motor.
I realize a motor has to come up to speed or it will draw too many amps and get hot.

Has anyone powered a 220v motor on a fan using 120 volts? I have no plans to run 220 volts the vent fan. The power vent is only used on very hot days to pull the heat from the pole barn ceiling..Nothing critical.

Your question: Has anyone powered a 220v motor on a fan using 120 volts?

I have TRIED to run 220 Volt Motors using 120 Volts DIDNT WORK. Thats NOT to say YOUR MOTOR wont work. Unlike some split phase motors that use switched start windings, low torque fan motors may just use a shaded pole configuration, hey it's yours give it a try ??? As Jim noted a cheap n easy transformer OF SUFFICIENT RATING is one way to go and its probably better for the motor also.

Your motor your risk your choice

John T

Maybe I misunderstood, but isn t that converter basically the opposite of what he needs? Its for running 110v items from a 220v outlet. He needs to run a 220v item from a 110v outlet. Do I have that correct?

If the motor is in your hand you can tell! I looked at atic vent fans and some big commercial fans consume more than 200 but the average I saw was about 100 to 125 continuous. Startup does not make a difference because they usually use shaded pole non start winding motors. Jim

Transformers operate either direction. The primary is which ever you feed power into the secondary becomes output by default. Not so with electronic voltage systems, but good to go with transformers. Power rating is inclusive of watts continuous. Jim

Last time I needed a push mower engine it was double the cost of a whole new mower. Bet exhaust fans are the same. There's always used and salvaged motors. Some ideas just aren't worth risk.

Your motor your risk your choice.

Motor has been sitting around for about 25 years. No big loss.

I may experiment by using a different size run capacitor or find a smaller fan blade.

The power vent is really not needed in the pole barn. I have a ridge vent and eve vents.

I was thinking... risking the barn. Hard to judge without further info. I use to have a 1.5 hp vent fan using a plane propeller.

Motor has been sitting around for about 25 years. No big loss.

There ya go, no big loss if it doesn't work out which I suspect, GO FOR IT

Let us know what happens, best wishes

John T

With a smaller, lower pitch fan blade it probably will work.

I unknowingly ran a pool pump motor on 120v that was wired for 230v. It came from the factory with a 120v plug, so I assumed it was wired for 120v. It worked for a couple years that way, then got to where it would not always start. Opened it up and found it was wired for 230v. Changed the wiring and it worked as it should.

Jim the shaded pole fan motors Ive seen are relatively small low torque units that have the advantage of no separate switched start windings. They are great for certain limited applications, where start up torque is small..... I still dont have much faith a 220 will work at 110 but some motors in some uses ???

John T

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back