Shifter Lever weld grind pattern to fix jumping in 2 ge

couv

Wasn't there a post a while back that showed how to weld up the bottom point of the gearshift lever, then grind it down to specific
measurements, to prevent the transmission from shifting into 2 gears at the same time, or jumping out of gear ?

It had a drawing that gave measurable measurements to grind down to -- front view & side view.

Typically was insructions for A, Super A, 100. 130, C, Super C, 200, 230

Kept a copy on a clipboard in my shop for years. Guess the crickets ate it because I can't find that copy now that I need it

yes there was, janicholson had it on here, all i did is took it out and welded a medium weld on one side, prettied it up a little and seen if it fit, and it did , it worked like that now for 10 years !!

Is janicholson still alive ? Been a while since I've been on YTMag, but used to follow him regularly when I was rebuilding my 100 in 2015.

ALL of his posts and a few other old timers should be in a catalogued, searchable library, for Ever and Ever, Amen !!

Here is the picture of the shifter sizes.
cvphoto154041.png

So all of the pictures here, and in the referenced posts show the same info --- referencing this drawing & measurements for an H or M

Are the measurements for A, Super A, 100c 130, C, Super C, 200, 230 the same ?

I think they are fairly universal for all IH models with shifters that are in direct contact with the actual sliding rails for the forks that slide the gears. So not for a 656 that uses linkage to transfer the shifting motion from the gear lever beside the dash. So lets say Farmall A on up through the 660. I do not know much about the F12 - F30 so I cannot say on those.

Yes, Jim is alive and kicking. He posted yesterday on this very board on an IH 140 and he does post here nearly daily. If you poke around the faculty pages of St. Cloud State University of MN you can likely take a gander at him. He has divulged what he does for day to day work on these forums. He lives about an hour from me, I have never met the man but would like to some day.

Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated. I will not take credit for the shifter Image. It was sourced here on the forum, but not mine. I just reposted it. Jim

Jim and his wonderful wife Prescott stopped by several years ago. We spent several hours together getting aquainted.Was a fantastic day. Jim,you and Prescott are welcome here anytime!

Jumping out of gear part may not be helped unless shift lever is worn so much the shift rail doesn't move far enough for detent ball to go in notch.

I try to make them approx 3/8 thick and 3/4 around. If too big,I simply grind them down till they fit the slot. Had to redo my SuperM last summer. Had previously done it 30 years ago.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back