smoking tractor

I squirted some atf into a spark plug hole and the little plastic tube I was using, fell into the cylinder and is still there. I'm still afraid to start the engine as I still cannot retrieve that tube.
By your compression numbers this is a gas tractor. Raise the piston to the top of the stroke. If you can’t fish that out of there don’t worry about it. I personally would not even make a special trip to town to acquire one of those grabbers. That can just stay in there, it will hurt nothing. If you can’t get it out crank it over with the plug out, even start it without that plug in. Then put the plug in and start it at the lowest idle. That straw will just melt and disappear. Now if you had a diesel where the head to piston clearance is closer, I probably wouldn’t suggest this, due to a concern of it possibly getting under a valve and the piston smacking it. In your gas engine the piston never comes that close to the valves when their closed.

By your compression numbers this is a gas tractor. Raise the piston to the top of the stroke. If you can’t fish that out of there don’t worry about it. I personally would not even make a special trip to town to acquire one of those grabbers. That can just stay in there, it will hurt nothing. If you can’t get it out crank it over with the plug out, even start it without that plug in. Then put the plug in and start it at the lowest idle. That straw will just melt and disappear. Now if you had a diesel where the head to piston clearance is closer, I probably wouldn’t suggest this, due to a concern of it possibly getting under a valve and the piston smacking it. In your gas engine the piston never comes that close to the valves when their closed.
Just to clarify, this is a piece of 1/4 inch tubing, not a red spray spout.

Just to clarify, this is a piece of 1/4 inch tubing, not a red spray spout.
The right sized phillips screwdriver might stab into it. If you can get a socket and ratchet on the front of the crankshaft you can move the piston up or down as needed.

Also every mechanic should own an endoscope for looking into spark plug holes, manifold ports, oil fill plug holes, and any bull plugs in crankcases. They can be had for 30 bux, more or less, on Amazing and have a lot of uses as long as you don't try to do your own colonoscopy with it. In a spark plug hole you can get a look at the piston, cylinder walls, and valves.

We have a Case 2090 (diesel) that just got an engine rebuild, ~4000 hrs on it. It had a lot of blowby, and was ticking on the exhaust. Turns out it was missing the top piston ring on the #6 cylinder, that groove showed no wear from ever having a ring. And the second ring (which isn't intended to take full cylinder pressure) was busted into about 30 pieces. Other than that, the inside of the engine was beautiful.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back