Soil test kit

I find soil testers that have a probe or two that you stick in the ground and it displays PH, moisture etc. Do these work? What about the do it your self test kits? Are these accurate or do I need to send a soil sample to a lab for testing?
Dave

I built a soil fertility meter that uses a probe that I bought and an Arduino as the brains. I don't know the accuracy but taking samples in different parts of my fields gave believable readings for nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. The soil needs to be quite wet for it to work and I had to use distilled water as my tap water would give erroneous readings.
Soil tester from scratch

To make an informed decision; I'd recommend at least sharing the goals that you'd like to obtain. soil tests aren't high priced and don't always reflect whole field
analyze. I've farmed my property for 64yrs and can tell you things that a soil test can't, but i'm definitely in the minority. keep goals
reasonable because in the end mother nature rules the roost!

I bought a soil testing kit at the local garden supply center. I was mostly concerned with the Ph level. The tests were all inconclusive. I learned nothing, but since I suspected the garden needed lime, I applied some. Made a big difference in the crops. The soil testing kit was rather pricey. I should have kept the money in my pocket and went with my gut instinct.

Tom makes a good point, I should have given some back ground. I planted Alfalfa, Turnips and White Clover last August as a cover crop and deer food plot. Nothing came up. A month later I planted Rye and it didn't come up. The thistle I had plowed under has flourished but nothing else has grown. Thus I want to do a soil test. I live in West Central Michigan and we had warm weather after I planted last fall.
Dave

In general a lab can do a better job. Maybe $15-25 per sample, and its best to keep sample area to 5 acres or less.
Or to do zones of similar ground types.

Just doing one would give you an idea for that spot anyhow.

I think ph is an issue in your region?

Paul

For about 10or 12 per acre they will do a grid sample on 2.2 acres with results for you and has a cation exchange rate a long with recommendations of NPK and lime. They pull the samples for that price. Supposed to be more efficient on nutrients with it. I've tried it both ways. I didn't use any less fertilizer just put it where it needed it and not where it didn't.

I did a home self test in 3 places 4 in deep. I used 2 different kits from two different stores and it shows 6 and 6.5. That's about what I expected. I can see some lime in my future. I guess I should be seeing some lime in my past! I'm a little late doing this. Thanks for the replies.
Dave

It's always a good idea to get a real soil test done, but it's also safe to say that those issues aren't caused by poor soil fertility or pH. Seeds will germinate in a wet napkin, they don't need any sort of soil. So if nothing germinated, it's not a soil problem. Most likely a moisture problem.

Edit: a pH of 6-6.5 isn't bad at all. A little lime isn't a bad idea, but some of us would love to have a pH of 6.5 .

This post was edited by MJMJ on 04/11/2023 at 05:26 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back