Bill(Wis)

Well-known Member
In my 20+ years of growing soybeans I have never had to harvest them this late. Finished yesterday. I say had to harvest them this late because they were very much delayed in development this year due to getting off to a slow start because of extremely cold nightime temperatures in May when they should be germinating and emerging here in Central Siberia. The unimpeded warm gulf flow we usually get at planting time just didn't happen. Early morning temperatures in the 30s. Planting treated seed made the late germination and emergence possible. It took three weeks for them to peek out of the ground. In years past I've seen emergence in as little as three days! In spite of this and a very dry summer the yield was quite good and we finally got down to 11% to 13% moisture. 1.9s.
 
We were cool during the summer and did not have to run the AC once. The soybeans took until the end of October before they were ready to harvest then we started having rainy stretches. With some help I am 99 percent done as of noon this past Friday. It seems any more the seasons have become odd for crops.
 
Had a neighbor just finish his due to same issues. His corn was done a while back but took a hit on moisture but had to get it off. Took a trip to south east wisconsin and still beans in fields the irrigation land here did ok but happy I didn't have to pay their electric and fuel bills Bill from central wisconsin
 
Strange as it sounds, we only had slight issues with the smoke. We definitely had too much rain, and not as warm as most summers either. Our soybean crops came off right about the same time as always, just leaving enough time to plant winter wheat into the stubble. Corn has been coming off for two weeks now, and still many many more acres to harvest. Moisture isnt dropping very fast in the corn crop this year, and lots of farmers will let it sit out until next March or April. Free drying and free storage, ok not free, there could be some yield drag. It must work because some guys do it with part of their crop every year .
 
We have about 200 acres to go to finish beans and all the corn. Beans will be down by about 30-50 acres by the end of today if all goes well. I guess we finally got the wobble box problem solved and the mud has receded a bit on the tiled ground. Yesterday we cut with no mud or rutting. When we started on mine a couple weeks to a month ago we plowed the field with the combine tires as we cut on some of it. Even quit and left a couple fields. Beans were late due to not ripening up like they should have with no rain in May and June. So everything just sat till about Independence day when we started getting rain by the inches and has not stopped yet.
 
I struggled as well this year, think I am second to last getting harvest done this fall in the greater neighborhood. Finished last Friday. We were very lucky to have a nice November!

Got delayed with planting some beans were planted June, the ground got so dry the beans sprouted 1/2, another 1/4 sprouted weeks later on a 1/10 inch of rain, and the last 1/4 sprouted in late July on a 1/3 inch of rain. Fields were a mess with 3 different sizes of beans, dry all summer, most beans were ankle high into fall, disaster....

Caught several inches of rain in mid August and the beans poured on, all different terminations grew full and fast, had a good yield! But 1/4 were green and rubber, couldnt harvest. It didnt really freeze them until late in October.

Other folk got planted more timely around here and didnt have the mess I did.

Tho I think I ended up with a good yield, I saw a lot of very thin beans on neighbors light ground....

Anyhow, harvest was a struggle this year for sure!

Paul
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top