spill absorbent

bill mart

tried this stuff twice this week , once on hydraulic fluid that came out of pinhole leak in a line on a stored tractor.( couple gallons )and today on a coolant spill. Graingers charges around $24 for a 25 pound bag. it works as well as the video portrays. Bill
Stardust absorbent
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/B2Xe4owPu3k?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/B2Xe4owPu3k?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Kitty litter or drywall plaster powder works too.
In a pinch sawdust works too.

$24 for a bag of that stuff. You can get 5 times that in cat litter.

Auto parts stores sell various kinds of diatomaceous-earth based oil absorbents for $5 to $9 a 25 lb bag. I"ve found these to work far better than clay-based kitty litter for cleaning up oil spills.

One trick that helps get rid of residual stains is to first dry and sweep up the worst of it, then go back and grind a thin layer of the absorbent into the concrete with the heel of your boot, then sweep up that.

When I had my repair shop , I'd use floor sweepings from after a dozer job clean-up.. Crush the clumps into dust and spread it around a little and the fines in that concoction would sop up all the oil spill .. Best part of all..... Doesn't cost a dime.. A trash can filled with sweepings with a grain scoop is the best tool to have..

We tend to cut up a lot of firewood kindling in a table saw or buss saw. The sawdust generated works good. maybe not as good as the stuff you buy; but; this is FREE!!!

Used to do some work for a salvage grocery store many years ago. One of the drivers scored me several free broken bags of kitty litter to use for oil sorb. Worked good for oil, but get antifreeze or water on the floor... Turned it into mud slime!

When someone blew a engine and oiled down the track we used absorb-all. 1st used a broom to sweep up worse of it then was funny watching bunch drag racers doing the twist grinding it in absorbing the rest of it.

MMfan55,

Sawdust also works well for keeping icy areas less slippery. When spring rolls around, the dust get's blown away, no clean-up.

D.

little hard to find this time of year :)
but I normally use dirt.
The fine stuff that has been pounded on my trails and shop approach works good.
like the other poster when I sweep a dry floor at days end, I just leave the dust pile, for the next spill.

Hey, thanks for the video Bill. Personally, I agree with you.I like the spill absorbent stuff better than the cat litter because I think it cleans the spills up faster - and it’s sure to not leave any marks on my floor. I like SpillFix the most though. Have you tried that one?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back