Startup Hydraulic Issues??

Hello all. I have a 1970 Case 970, Diesel, Power Shift gears, hydraulic pump runs everything, I have owned for 3 years. I have
been trouble shooting a fixing different issues. I have been through the most of the hydraulics' minus the controller that is
under the panel that is under your feet when you are setting in the seat. And now I am down to this or these?? This is an ALWAYS
(or 99%) startup issue. The cooler the temperature the longer it takes to get it freed up. it has done it ever since I got it.
It has not gotten worse nor has it gotten better with any of the other repairs or maintenance I have done to it..

This one of the three issues at startup
Ok so I start the tractor and one of two things can happen with the clutch peddle before it gets somewhat warmed up.
1. if you push in the clutch peddle it will kill the motor - its like you are putting it under a load, so I get the
rpm up and work it in and out until it will let me hold it down
2. As soon as it starts it sounds like it is under load and kills it so i have to push in the clutch to start and get
rpm up then work it in and out until it has no load

This is the second of the three issues at startup (brakes have never worked, I have blead them but peddles alway hard)
I am able to put it into any gear, including reverse. when it take of the right side brake is on. So with some more
warming up and shifting it in and out of gear, forward and revers. It will finally release. It must be at lowest idle
possible. Longer the tractor is running the less problems you have like this.

This is the third of the three issues at startup and after high idle for first 30min or so.
Somewhere in middle of all the other two issues if you try to revers its like the brakes are on. But you can go forward
with no problems.so keep taking off in low idle and it will eventually let you backup. Longer the tractor is running
the less problems you have like this.

I am getting ready to pull the controller out, take it apart, have the body boiled, check all the parts.

Any information would be welcomed!!!!

If you keep running it the way you are you will trash the power shift! You have spools in the power shift valve that are sticking, (You call it the controller), All you need to do is clean the spools, and make sure the relief valves are in the filter cans. When ever you are working it you are slipping the clutches in the power shift. As the oil warms up everything in the valve expands with the warmer temp, and that is why it works better then. The problem with the brakes could well be the arms between the slave cylinders and the brakes are seized up, check them.

Thank you for your comments.

I have removed the power shift valve. Stripped it down, have it soaking. Will brush it, rinse it, then blow it dry. I will give all the spools a light brushing in cleaner and put back together. I have a manual so I will make sure it goes back together correctly.

I have new gasket for the top, thinking I should get a new gasket for the bellow the valve.

I had put new filters in when first bought, but i will double check the relief valves are in them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back