Steiger start

MF294-4

Have a Steiger with a 3306 with glow plugs. How long should or can you activate the glow plugs before start?

If I remember correctly, up to 3 minutes.
I had 1674's and 1693's, and that what the label stated. I know it was long enough to be irritating on the thumb holding that Cat glow plug/ starter switch.

On our old Cougar I I just count to about ten and try it. Usually starts. This is at most cold temperatures to about little below freezing since tillage is usually done when the ground starts freezing. It sets during the winter in the shed till spring.

If youre asking about a time limit before they burn out, there is none. You can hold them til the batteries are dead. But realistically, if it were -10*F , three minutes would do it. 3306 it a good cold weather starter. If your glow plugs work, and itll turn, it will start. Also, 3306s and 3304s with sleeve metering injector pumps can sometimes have a drain-back problem, if the fuel tank is below the pump. I just threw that in because it sounds like youre having a hard time getting it to start promptly, which it will do in mild weather. If you are cranking continuously with little smoke out the stack, you have drain-back.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back