Super M grill

Randy McC

Anyone know if an M grill is interchangeable with a Super M. Bought an M grill but can't seem to make it fit my '53 Super M. There is about a 3/8 inch separation between grill and hood.

Not really the same, See if the two holes in the middle , 2/3 of the way up are stopping the progress. SM holes are bigger. Jim

Real early grills had a difference in how hood and grill meet at the top and some have no slot for later radiator overflow tube. But the rest fit the same as a SM. How was the grill that was on it or was there any. Maybe the radiator needs adjusted. Late SM, SMTA grill was the last replacement sold from IH for most M tractors. A look at parts listed for a M printed after 1954 will show the part number for a SMTA grill. Emblem mounting holes and extra cultivator mounting holes or blank space is the only difference. No difference in fit.

I'm thinking the Super M grill was a tad longer. Seems there was a discussion on here awhile back about it. Not sure what the tittle of that post was, to look for it in archives.

Something about the MD grills were a hair longer. And when the Supers came out, they went to that length also.

I don't remember all the details of that discussion.

Over 40 years ago when I bought my SuperM,the grill was missing. I bought a grill from a 'straight' M. It fit perfect. That grill is still on the tractor.A SMTA grill will have two extra holes for cultivator braces.As said,an MD hood is an inch and half longer than a gas M hood,plus the exaust hole is on the oppisite side.There are some differences in the tin work from the different models of M tractors.I have 5 M/SM here. Two were built from different parts tractors,one was built from 5(M;SMTA;2 400;H) different tractors. A real 'Frankenstien.

Seems like some M grills fit and others don't. Mine doesn't. I've worked with the radiator but movement of the grill is limited by the front of the steering bolster. I'll just have to learn to live with the gap. Thanks all.

If the grill hits the bosses where the cultivator holes should be, you may need to make holes like the Super M and SMTA have. Jim

From regular M serial number 26117 and higher, no diesel or MV. Upper bolster 9141DC works and is used on regular SM tractors. No castings in way of most M grill working. Think I know what he means. Run into a couple that grill contacts casting at bottom before bolt holes in grill go back far enough. Worked on bolster casting and grill to get a better fit. Upper bolster 9131DD was used on SMTA gas and diesel. It has a place to bolt on a cultivator mount behind grill that extra holes in grill were used for. Nothing grill will hit. 9131DD was also used for a replacement bolster on some MD, SMD and SMV. If he had a 9131DD bolster on a SM gas, hood or worm shaft along with a few other things would be to short by about 1.5 inch.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back