plugs and put my finger into the spark plug hole to feel for air
movement. I did not feel any air movement. On number 2
cylinder I saw whisps of exhaust coming out. Screwed the
compression tester into that spark plug hole. Could not feel any
air movement at the end of the compression tester hose nor any
movement of the compression tester needle when gauge was
connected.

Next I cracked each line going to the injectors. I saw a strong
spray coming out of stem of nut on 1,2 and 3. Not so much on 4.

I did not notice any change in the engine in doing so.

So what would you try next?

Is there anyplace that still works on these old injectors or pumps
?

I am sure Diesel Tech,can, or knows who can,do you get Red Power Magazine,there is a company there in a little town of Estherville Iowa,their Number is 1 800-548-9464 !!

Go hook it to a plow and work the it hard foe a few days it may still clean up and run good. We ran an MD for a week in the winter using it for everything we had to do. It finally quit missing and cleaned up in the spring. That pump has not been off that engine since we bought it back in the 70's nor the injectors other than to have valve work done. No work on the injectors. Still runs fine . We did have to go through the cylinders a few years later from an oil leak at the rear main and oil got low. I doubt you need to spend money on pump or injectors. Like most replied to you last time work it's tail off for a while on hard heavy work.

post a video of this rough running. before it was puffing white smoke. i said to check the timing as that might be all that is required. and you say you saw whisps of exhaust coming out,.. well there should be nothing. that means the little decompression valve is not totally sealing and in return might be causing the lower than normal compression for the diesel to fire good. i am asking for details yes, mean check the timing and report where it at. or advance it 2-4 degree's and see what happens. you do thei by removing the round cover in front of the pump and there is the marks in there and the adjustment. take a picture of where those timing marks are now also. and yes these engine do need a good workout to get things cleared up also. many will puff white smoke till they get under load. you say its running rough? .. so is it missing on one cyl. or what video will explain it all.

I have had good luck using Lucas fuel conditioner. A 1 qt bottle mixed with 5-10 gal of fuel. get it running with that in your tank for a while. Letit set for a few days and it may well be cleared up. A good day at hard work would also help a lot

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back