Swathing Wheat

rusty6

Photo from today as I was swathing the first field of wheat. Made a good jigsaw too.
cvphoto162705.jpg

Swathing Jigsaw

good for u , i just finished mine this evening. gonna do canola in about 1 week. still really green with this dry spring. u have a lot newer swather though. mine is the versatile 400 1981.

(quoted from post at 20:25:00 09/07/23) good for u , i just finished mine this evening. gonna do canola in about 1 week. still really green with this dry spring. u have a lot newer swather though. mine is the versatile 400 1981.
I finished swathing my 300 acres canola a week ago and it was ready. This wheat could have been swathed earlier but I was in no hurry. Got in 5 hours this afternoon. Got another couple of hundred acres to go. Mine is a JD 2360 built by Macdon in Canada. Its old too. From the mid 80s.

(quoted from post at 02:03:48 09/08/23) Excuse my ignorance; you are swathing unharvested wheat that will be picked up and threshed later? Thanks, Michael
Yes, swathing wheat to dry down the green patches is the way it was done here for years. Now many are using chemicals to dry down and then direct cut. I don't.

(quoted from post at 04:18:15 09/08/23) Dumb question- is canola typically swathed, or dried down chemically?
Yes, swathing canola was the only way for years. Direct cutting was unheard of but in recent years it seems to be working for some. Although I know some that straight cut standing canola last year and this year they are back to swathing and combining later. Mine is all swathed.

(quoted from post at 10:07:12 09/08/23) Beautiful picture even with the green thing in it.
You could buy the same swather in red if you wanted an IH 6000 or Massey 885. They are a very good swather. This one has the double swath table so if the crop is light I can lay two 21 foot swaths side by side. Makes a huge difference when combining. Half as many turns and double the material entering the combine.

That's an exceptionally sharp image! I can make out individual tree limbs in the distance and the individual stems of the wheat. Thanks for posting.

My understanding - it is too cool and wet - for the grain to ever dry in the field - enough to store it - or dry
it in the bin. So , much like haying , they cut it into windrows ( swathing) to dry in the field. Then pick it up
with a combine that shells it. Before automation - it was hand tied into shocks to stand in the field and dry.
Then hauled to a thresher to be shelled.

(quoted from post at 07:20:33 09/09/23) My understanding - it is too cool and wet - for the grain to ever dry in the field - enough to store it - or dry
it in the bin. So , much like haying , they cut it into windrows ( swathing) to dry in the field. Then pick it up
with a combine that shells it. Before automation - it was hand tied into shocks to stand in the field and dry.
Then hauled to a thresher to be shelled.

Thank you so much, I get it now. :wink:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back