The HOYE YMOwners.com transfer was a total mess.

Seems no notification was given and trying to login into this Yesterday forum site didn't give a clue to the changed user ID.

I went back to look for any notification emails from YMOwners.com and got nothing.

Not a good way to making the switch.

If anyone is in the office today, please send out notifications or a splash page with instruction on the old YMOwners.con site.
Hoye has a loyal following, to loose those who frequent the forums logging in or not, will hurt PasrtsASAP business model.

Bret

Bret, You are right, but that was not ASAPs fault. It was an emergency. I only heard second hand when an ASAP employee found out the Hoye server was no longer supported and going away. He recognized what a loss it would be to not save the forum. We were asked to include it in YT, to save it from being completely dropped. From here, I'm going to say things here that I'm not totally sure about just to give you my dim awareness about it, but I believe it's generally the situation. I don't represent ASAP in that because I just don't know enough, just talking as me as an individual which I often do... it's my opinion from events and my role.

The way I understand it, the Hoye person who built the forums left. Nothing wrong with someone leaving, but it created an emergency as it always does when someone knowledgeable leaves a business. It was also an insecure server which you simply can't run on the net any longer. The ASAP individual saw the emergency and saved it from complete loss by grabbing a dump of the forums though did not have full access. At the eleventh hour of our putting in our new forums, we imported what we had into YT. I took that dump, pulled out the most active forums (where anyone had posted recently) and incorporated them in as a manufacturer forum on YT. He did create a username on the forums and gave a warning under the username partsasap, though because of the timing, very few would of course see it. The last post (which is gone now) was his saying the forums were moving and talked about the usernames. He also contacted the most active user on those forums and told him how to get in, in the hope that he could provide some feedback and transition (again I may be all wet from lack of being involved). I didn't see his user information change during the 4 days we had for testing. Since it was virtually Christmas, it's not a surprise as that was a lot to ask.

I realized the potential of confusion on several levels and put the message about usernames on the header to the Yanmar forum (it's not very bold and easy to miss). But that was where we assumed anyone going to YMOwners.com would end up (just tested that and it does resolve there). It was the best we could do because many Hoye usernames duplicated the YT usernames. For anyone with those "-HT" usernames, they can contact me at support at yesterdaystractors.com and I will change the username if possible (or they can do it themselves and if it duplicates, it will reject it, in which case, they can still contact me and I may be able to do something about it). Your username is a good example, bmaverick is not taken and either you or I can change it in your account settings.

Another point of confusion is that I had to group multiple forums into a single forum. The content of the posts seemed fine for that but those used to seeing the nice layout YMOwners had will be shocked to see only one forum with all the posts mixed. I couldn't do anything else because in those few days, there was no way to create a separate multiple forums in a single YT forum.

The last is the same thing many YT people are experiencing right now. The shock of having an all new interface. With YMOwners, it's a lot worse because the vast number of people would have no idea until they opened the session and saw nothing looked or acted the same way. So that is definitely cold water thrown in the face to wander in here.

We could not blanket email the users of the forums. There are rules against doing that because it is considered spam by many, reported as such and blacklists a company from being able to use their mail in the aftermath. So there wasn't a practical way to contact the users other than the forum post. The traffic on the forum was not frequent enough to allow many of the members to have seen it (this all occurred in a few days time). If Hoye had done emailings like that in the past, we were not aware of it and could not take the chance.

I was very impressed with the YMOwners users, they are serious about their tractors, and the forums show nothing but volunteer expertise of a top notch level, just as YT is for it's brands. I'm deeply sorry I couldn't capture the last few posts as we did for YT. There was no more data source we could access. ASAP saved the forums and asked us to help do it. I think it was the best we could do. There was nothing ASAP could (or should) do to stop an employee from leaving, and the people who could solve it, found out much too late to do anything other than what they (and eventually we) did.

We have what we have now and will do anything we can to help those of you using YMOwners continue to be able to do the impressive job you do with your chosen tractor brand.

P.S. I'll try to post a message at the top of the Yanmar forum, but my time is really crunched right now. I'll do something though as I really get you.

Oh, I know the pain the person went thru at the 11th hour. I saved the largest Yanmar community forum groups on the the web back at the end of 2019. And also assisted in saving 4 other groups from total extinction when Yahoo Groups folded per Version mandates.

So many of us rely on those OLD postings going back to day 1 of the forum. I don't login to the site as the postings are few. HOWEVER, the wealth of info and history is like gold.

Over the last month, I was searching and scouting the entire forum for details on BullDog Loaders on Japan made tractors. Now my search is abruptly stopped with mixed results being inconclusive.

Aaron managed the YMOwners.com site. He's now stepped away.

As time marches forwards, I'm seeing a wealth of information lost on tractors made in the past 40 years up to 2010.

On the other tractor sites and on my forum, people are upset the Hoye parts diagrams are now disappearing. Only component parts are showing if at all.

There is a good deal of chatter on this migration on the TBN site too.

I hope Winston comes here. He is the glue to the YMOwners.com forum.

Glad the save happened then. Just so much of a surprise to all of us.

I posted this thread on TBN and on the YTOG, this way others would have a smoother transition here.

Seems the forum was never allowed to be backed up via public access either.
1703982633424.png

Bret, You are right, but that was not ASAPs fault. It was an emergency. I only heard second hand when an ASAP employee found out the Hoye server was no longer supported and going away. He recognized what a loss it would be to not save the forum. We were asked to include it in YT, to save it from being completely dropped. From here, I'm going to say things here that I'm not totally sure about just to give you my dim awareness about it, but I believe it's generally the situation. I don't represent ASAP in that because I just don't know enough, just talking as me as an individual which I often do... it's my opinion from events and my role.

The way I understand it, the Hoye person who built the forums left. Nothing wrong with someone leaving, but it created an emergency as it always does when someone knowledgeable leaves a business. It was also an insecure server which you simply can't run on the net any longer. The ASAP individual saw the emergency and saved it from complete loss by grabbing a dump of the forums though did not have full access. At the eleventh hour of our putting in our new forums, we imported what we had into YT. I took that dump, pulled out the most active forums (where anyone had posted recently) and incorporated them in as a manufacturer forum on YT. He did create a username on the forums and gave a warning under the username partsasap, though because of the timing, very few would of course see it. The last post (which is gone now) was his saying the forums were moving and talked about the usernames. He also contacted the most active user on those forums and told him how to get in, in the hope that he could provide some feedback and transition (again I may be all wet from lack of being involved). I didn't see his user information change during the 4 days we had for testing. Since it was virtually Christmas, it's not a surprise as that was a lot to ask.

I realized the potential of confusion on several levels and put the message about usernames on the header to the Yanmar forum (it's not very bold and easy to miss). But that was where we assumed anyone going to YMOwners.com would end up (just tested that and it does resolve there). It was the best we could do because many Hoye usernames duplicated the YT usernames. For anyone with those "-HT" usernames, they can contact me at support at yesterdaystractors.com and I will change the username if possible (or they can do it themselves and if it duplicates, it will reject it, in which case, they can still contact me and I may be able to do something about it). Your username is a good example, bmaverick is not taken and either you or I can change it in your account settings.

Another point of confusion is that I had to group multiple forums into a single forum. The content of the posts seemed fine for that but those used to seeing the nice layout YMOwners had will be shocked to see only one forum with all the posts mixed. I couldn't do anything else because in those few days, there was no way to create a separate multiple forums in a single YT forum.

The last is the same thing many YT people are experiencing right now. The shock of having an all new interface. With YMOwners, it's a lot worse because the vast number of people would have no idea until they opened the session and saw nothing looked or acted the same way. So that is definitely cold water thrown in the face to wander in here.

We could not blanket email the users of the forums. There are rules against doing that because it is considered spam by many, reported as such and blacklists a company from being able to use their mail in the aftermath. So there wasn't a practical way to contact the users other than the forum post. The traffic on the forum was not frequent enough to allow many of the members to have seen it (this all occurred in a few days time). If Hoye had done emailings like that in the past, we were not aware of it and could not take the chance.

I was very impressed with the YMOwners users, they are serious about their tractors, and the forums show nothing but volunteer expertise of a top notch level, just as YT is for it's brands. I'm deeply sorry I couldn't capture the last few posts as we did for YT. There was no more data source we could access. ASAP saved the forums and asked us to help do it. I think it was the best we could do. There was nothing ASAP could (or should) do to stop an employee from leaving, and the people who could solve it, found out much too late to do anything other than what they (and eventually we) did.

We have what we have now and will do anything we can to help those of you using YMOwners continue to be able to do the impressive job you do with your chosen tractor brand.

P.S. I'll try to post a message at the top of the Yanmar forum, but my time is really crunched right now. I'll do something though as I really get you.
So, just how many other tractor forums merged here. I was on a few of the too. :)

Oh, I know the pain the person went thru at the 11th hour. I saved the largest Yanmar community forum groups on the the web back at the end of 2019. And also assisted in saving 4 other groups from total extinction when Yahoo Groups folded per Version mandates.

So many of us rely on those OLD postings going back to day 1 of the forum. I don't login to the site as the postings are few. HOWEVER, the wealth of info and history is like gold.

Over the last month, I was searching and scouting the entire forum for details on BullDog Loaders on Japan made tractors. Now my search is abruptly stopped with mixed results being inconclusive.

Aaron managed the YMOwners.com site. He's now stepped away.

As time marches forwards, I'm seeing a wealth of information lost on tractors made in the past 40 years up to 2010.

On the other tractor sites and on my forum, people are upset the Hoye parts diagrams are now disappearing. Only component parts are showing if at all.

There is a good deal of chatter on this migration on the TBN site too.

I hope Winston comes here. He is the glue to the YMOwners.com forum.

Glad the save happened then. Just so much of a surprise to all of us.

I posted this thread on TBN and on the YTOG, this way others would have a smoother transition here.

Seems the forum was never allowed to be backed up via public access either.
View attachment 597
I have the remaining forums I didn't put in if there is anything needed from there. They seemed more disjointed and originally we were just going to do the Tech forum but the content was so good on some others that I rewrote them to the main forum. Nothing is lost on those other forums though.

Winston seemed to be a powerhouse of information on Yanmar. He was the one who was contacted, just due to our lack of knowledge about the forums. But it was unfair to expect someone at Christmas to tackle something like that. He was fantastic on the tractors, but this was a forum issue. We just didn't know who else could be contacted. He also may not have known if the contact was just a PM. I do hope he comes back, such a wealth of knowledge and willingness to help.

BTW, I am normally YTSupport but that account has no admin at the moment and no time to fix it with YTs cutover.

Chris

I have the remaining forums I didn't put in if there is anything needed from there. They seemed more disjointed and originally we were just going to do the Tech forum but the content was so good on some others that I rewrote them to the main forum. Nothing is lost on those other forums though.

Winston seemed to be a powerhouse of information on Yanmar. He was the one who was contacted, just due to our lack of knowledge about the forums. But it was unfair to expect someone at Christmas to tackle something like that. He was fantastic on the tractors, but this was a forum issue. We just didn't know who else could be contacted. He also may not have known if the contact was just a PM. I do hope he comes back, such a wealth of knowledge and willingness to help.

BTW, I am normally YTSupport but that account has no admin at the moment and no time to fix it with YTs cutover.

Chris
Chris, the reason why I became the 3rd owner of the Yanmar Tractor Owners Group is, I'm an IT Admin in my daily career from the 90s into 2017. I've migrated forums, Oracle databases, Unix to Windows 2007 servers, etc. Back in 2019, many of the forum members didn't have the expertise to make the migration happen. Even the moderator who had the site on autopilot for a decade wasn't computer savvy either. They asked to save the 40+ years of Yanmar wealth of info and cobbled message board. To date, our forum does 150 messages a month vs prior of just 10. So many new owners or the children were passed down the machine from dad or even mom or an aunt. I too plan to do the same when the time arrives. I want to leave them a good legacy without big gaps.

And we have over 250 manuals in the files section no longer in print. We abide by the Japan copyright rules of out of print, single download documents for individual reference use. Then Japan changed in 2011 to be like the USA. So, all of the vintage stuff is good to store.

Chris, the reason why I became the 3rd owner of the Yanmar Tractor Owners Group is, I'm an IT Admin in my daily career from the 90s into 2017. I've migrated forums, Oracle databases, Unix to Windows 2007 servers, etc. Back in 2019, many of the forum members didn't have the expertise to make the migration happen. Even the moderator who had the site on autopilot for a decade wasn't computer savvy either. They asked to save the 40+ years of Yanmar wealth of info and cobbled message board. To date, our forum does 150 messages a month vs prior of just 10. So many new owners or the children were passed down the machine from dad or even mom or an aunt. I too plan to do the same when the time arrives. I want to leave them a good legacy without big gaps.

And we have over 250 manuals in the files section no longer in print. We abide by the Japan copyright rules of out of print, single download documents for individual reference use. Then Japan changed in 2011 to be like the USA. So, all of the vintage stuff is good to store.
You should talk with Jeremy Miller @jmiller about this on a PM. He posted in the YM forum tonight. Kim and I are pretty much YT only. Jeremy has the overall ASAP picture, and he's a great guy.

There is some interesting stuff there I'm sure, along with other Hoye parts breakdown pages which I thought were fantastic when I looked over the Hoye site. You must have had something to do with those, I was impressed. But all of it sounds like a great resource.

Glad to meet you, we obviously have some common computer background, are passionate about preserving history, and you love tractors too. Mine are all AC Orange though (except the Kubota (some sort of inappropriate orange ;) , but RELIABLE), and the Oliver 1950FWA workhorse (cause everyone needs at least one monster in the closet)).

It's working, the search here on the old Hoye posts. Found the BullDog loader history and issues. :)

Looks like I have some problems on the attachments. I had to import with a php program and it looks like there is a problem with the attachment directive. I will look at it tomorrow. I'm having a senior moment because it looks like I didn't import the Attachment directory? I filtered the Hoye bbcode but the attachments may not be copied into xenForo's attachment directory. I'm going to have to sleep on it because I was sure I'd handled that.

@bmaverick - This is Jeremy. Please PM me if there's anything I can assist you with. Appreciate your patience as we work through some items that need to be addressed. Appreciate you posting on other forums and providing assistance for everyone. It's great members like you that make this community thrive!

Chris

Winston was contacted directly and should be joining us here soon.

I am lurking around.
Welcome Winston, very impressed with your tractor knowledge on YMOwners. You can set your username back to winston without the -HT. Because of duplicates I had to add that to the end of YMOwners, but your normal name is free. I can do it for you if you like but wanted you to be aware before I do that.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back