kj-32

New User
Location
NE
Is tire paint worth it for making old tires look better? Or is it just as simple, or maybe better, to use Armor All or another similar product?
 
I am not a expert on tires, but putting on some tire cleaner works for a while, Like Black and white brand or Groits car care products! How long it last i cant say, but they look nice at first!
 
You're talking about the Miller tire paint (or equivalent)? It works
surprisingly well, lasts surprisingly long, and a very small amount of it
covers a surprisingly large area. It definitely lasts longer than armor-all,
and makes tires look a little more authentically new-looking, unlike the
greasy shine the armor-all type products give. It also fills in some of the
tiny cracks to some extent, which the armor-all type products don't.

It doesn't 'fix' the cracks, nor add a huge degree of protection, so it's
only really use is for show purposes. Some folks say the armor-all type
products add a little better UV protection (though it doesn't last long),
others say the silicone-based products like armor-all actually harm old
tractor tires and cause them to degrade.

If this is for a work tractor, I wouldn't bother with any product. If you're
trying to make it look good for a show, the Miller paint will work and look
better than the armor-all. It's more like a stain than a paint - it soaks
into the rubber just a little but also coats the surface.

I wish I had more of it, I only ever had one partial jug I picked up at an
auction. No where here in Canada seems to sell it anymore, and when I tried
to order from the US I found out the shipping cost and hoops you have to ump
through to ship a paint product across the border are ridiculous.
 
I should have commented that it's not for a work tractor, just show. Yes, I was talking about something similar to Miller tire paint. Looks like they don't ship this time
of year though. I've found a few other options, but seems like the most common is either just spray paint or a 5 gallon bucket. This site does have a link for a gallon,
but it also sounds like a quart should cover two rear tires.
 
I have found the original type of Armor All to be like heroin, one you start using it then expect to keep it up. I find that
it dries out (or makes brittle) both rubber and vinyl and eventually turns yellowish in colour. I know some will say I'm
imagining things but that's the experience I've had with it. For me, it goes into the same category as penetrating oil
(which I believe without heat is useless). Anyways, my two cents ....
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top