Tractor Club Harvest Photos ....

Crazy Horse

A couple of photos below from yesterday in central Alberta ..... our club is into harvest season, we're tackling 50 acres of barley (and rocks sometimes) and then baling the straw. Raining today so we have to wait to start up again, would have been nice to have a couple more days of sunny weather but it didn't happen.
cvphoto163990.jpg

cvphoto163991.jpg

Baling straw with long sleeves and jacket,, don't see that around here except once every 20 years or so LOL

We refer to that as a ten-bale stook. Often they sit out in the weather until someone buys them and picks them up so they tend to stay relatively dry and shed the rain. That stook sled has a foot-operated trip petal that tilts and leaves the stook behind as the tractor and baler keep moving continurally. The guy doing the stacking has his own system for storing some of the next batch, notmally you wouldn't see those extras on the platform. Not sure why but normally they wouldn't be there for most of us who do that. Photo below is from last year's oat straw I think. We pick up and move the whole ten bales at once with a skid steer with a special pickup on the front.
cvphoto164001.jpg

Hi Crazy Horse. My shoulders and back started to hurt as soon as I saw those 10 bale stacks. Did that for years with hay and straw for 45 to 50 head of cattle. Dont miss that one bit. Good luck with the rest of the clubs harvest. Thanks for the pictures.

I think it's a 3020 or 3010 .... not sure (decals are long gone) and the axle question is a puzzle to me. What differnt kinds of axles were there and what was the difference and for what reason(s)?

I can't really explain why those extra bales are sitting flat on the fixed platform. They were stopped there and doing something and then
moving away when I took the photo. The bottom row on the stook would take 4 bales, then 3,2 and finally one at the top. Storing them on the
platform and then onto the tilt part of the sled would be extra work, you'd be moving some of them twice. I must ask the fellow in the photo
why that is the way it is. If the guy doing the stacking messes up and has the bale strings facing in different ways, the whole stook can
fall over and then you have to restack them. Maybe they were fixing something.

was best combine built. simple great capacity will take muddy ground better easy to change crop to crop settings. where did we go wrong? i had a 960 case too very simular to a 55 john deere

When we did stooks (six bale around here), you'd try not to leave them in any small gullys where rain might pool, even briefly. My one uncle liked them in a rows across the field, less walking when loading them. Might explain the extra bales. My Grandfather used to drop the bales then go around and stook them by hand by standing four or five bales on their ends leaning on each other with one on top. All this would be after the wagons were full.
I like my round baler....haha

This post was edited by Davidj on 09/30/2023 at 06:14 am.

The 3rd post down in the link below (British) shows a video of a similar setup that we use. It is essentialy the same thing, ours is all steel and has a safety hand rail for balance, that guy in the video could use one with the lurching of the tractor and baler. One reply here mentioned that he's seen the same setup with 6 bales (so a bottom row of 3 instead of 4). Just the edges of the 4 bottom row bales touch the ground which helps for moisture issues.
Video of a 10 bale stook sled ....

Well Pete, we aren't as lucky as Marylanders who have the Orioles so we gotta have something extra special. What a turaround that team had chalked up this year.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back